Options

Reserve a Non-Lot tracked Pick Line (and consumption) against a Purchase Item Ledger Entry

Toddy_BoyToddy_Boy Member Posts: 231
Dynamics NAV 2013

We have thousands of FIFO items that are NOT Lot tracked (and thousands more that are). These Non-Lot tracked items, when picked, now need to record the incoming goods receipt number (GRN) produced at purchase receipt i.e. the Item Ledger Entry, and subsequently apply that item ledger entry number to the consumption item journal overriding the FIFO entry that would be applied. Has anyone done this?

The alternative is to create new items and Lot track those which will be a painful exercise.

Life is for enjoying ... if you find yourself frowning you're doing something wrong

Best Answers

• Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Answer ✓
    No amount of programming will accomplish this. There is simply not enough information carried on the warehouse records to establish the relation to inventory you are looking for. That is what lot\serial tracking is for.

Never build custom software to do a job that can be handled by standard product features.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    vaprogvaprog Member Posts: 1,118
    Answer ✓
    If you intend to solve this with programming, I think your requirement could be covered by establishing a reservation link between the source document line and the providing Item Ledger Entry, either before picking (prescribing exactly what is to be picked), or by adding the reservation on entry of the picked GRN on the warehouse document line.

Answers

• Options
    If I understand correctly, you want to control the specific inbound Item Ledger Entry (ILE) to which the consumption of a non-lot tracked item is applied.

The warehouse entries do not reliably contain the information needed to make this association. While the original warehouse entries created by the purchase receipt may, it is unlikely you are picking from those entries. As the moved around the warehouse prior to the pick for consumption.

Ultimately what you need to do is assign the desired ILE and the "Applies-To Entry No." on the sales lines. At the moment, I can't think of a reliable way to automatically determine this entry. Then there is the part of automating the entry. Which is probably doable. This may need to be a manual process.

In general, your item setup does not support the functionality you seek. My recommendation would be to "bite the bullet" and establish an item setup that supports your desired functionality.

When building complex systems, the most important step is testing. Not only test to insure no errors, but also to verify it does what you expect. Things can be much easier to resolve when discovered early in the process.
  • Options
    bbrown - thanks for the input, and yes you understand my issue pefectly . I'm looking at how much development I need to do selecting entries at pick, especially if multiple GRNs need picking against the one line (as lot tracking does). Or whether, as you say, bite the bullet and go Lot Tracked.
    Life is for enjoying ... if you find yourself frowning you're doing something wrong
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    No amount of programming will accomplish this. There is simply not enough information carried on the warehouse records to establish the relation to inventory you are looking for. That is what lot\serial tracking is for.

Never build custom software to do a job that can be handled by standard product features.
  • Options
    bbrown - I agree with you, now to convince the business.
  • Options
    vaprogvaprog Member Posts: 1,118
    Answer ✓
    If you intend to solve this with programming, I think your requirement could be covered by establishing a reservation link between the source document line and the providing Item Ledger Entry, either before picking (prescribing exactly what is to be picked), or by adding the reservation on entry of the picked GRN on the warehouse document line.
  • Options
    @vaprog - that was my thinking
  • Options
    Toddy_Boy wrote: »

Reservation would be another way of handling this. It does not need any programming. This is standard functionality with directed picking. The difference is with reservations you are deciding exactly what will be shipped during the sales process. Before the order ever gets to the warehouse.

The process you choose depends on when you want that decision made.

• Options
    @bbrown this isn't a shipping pic, this is a pick for production consumption pick
  • Options
    @bbrown this isn't a shipping pic, this is a pick for production consumption pick

It's still a pick. The same process regardless of the intended use.