Options

Error running database test using file log

lagersjeflagersjef Member Posts: 57
Hi,

I am getting the following error when trying to run a database test (I am only checking off for 'Test field relationships between tables') on my Navision 3.70 db:

"An attempt was made to move the file pointer before the beginning of the file."

I know that this is a win32 error (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/155011/EN-US/), but I don't know what do with it in terms of Navision.

I have also tried to run the database test with the event log turned on, but the event log becomes full even though I have increased the event log size to the maximum.

Since the file log nor the event log works, I am left with having to click through all error messages manually - which is a pain.

Any ideas on how to log these errors automatically?

Answers

• Options
    fbfb Member Posts: 246
    Wow -- when the error occurs, has the log file grown to more than 2 GB (2147483648 bytes)?

Hypothesis: Navision is using a 32-bit signed integer to track the current position in the log file. When the program attempt to increase the value beyond the maximum value (2 GB), the result 'wraps around' and becomes a very large negative number. This results in the ERROR_NEGATIVE_SEEK problem.

Workaround: Usually when you review the field relationship errors, you find hundreds, even thousands of repeats -- for example, a Salesperson code has been deleted, but that code exists on thousands of records throughout the system. If you add the Salesperson code back, those errors will no longer occur, and perhaps the log file will not grow beyond 2GB...?
  • Options
    lagersjeflagersjef Member Posts: 57
    You are right fb! Thanks for the quick feedback. There are a few field relations that cause obscene amounts of errors. The log file itself might have a limit of 2GB, but even the application log is set to max and can hold more than 4GB. It contained more than 600,000 errors....

I fixed some of the errors, but there were more big ones, so it maxed out again. I'm trying yet again and hope that will do it...