Best Practise -Insert and Modify, or Insert

samantha73samantha73 Member Posts: 96
Hi All,
After having few issues when insert code block did not triggered some field validations - form instance when insertiung sales header and setting document date, and also on sales lines and UOM, I came to the conclusion that it is always better to first insert with Key fields and then update. Am I wrong here? and I'm surprised most of the sample code I have been using did not use this pattern or MS assumes everyone from NAV background and should know this already.
An example of the code:
clear(SalesHeader);
SalesHeader.Init();
SalesHeader.Validate("Document Type", SalesHeader."Document Type"::Invoice);
SalesHeader.Insert(true);
SalesHeader.Validate("Sell-to Customer No.", CustomerNo);
SalesHeader.Validate("Bill-to Customer No.", BillTo);
SalesHeader.Modify(true)

Best Answers

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    edited 2021-08-10 Answer ✓
    Yes exactly. Some people will disagree with this by the way. There is one school of thought that says that you need to do simple assignments in code and stay away from validation code. I am firmly in the Validate camp though, I look at AL development more like a script that simulates a user entering the records. On all of the standard document pages, as soon as you leave the "No." field, the system will insert the record, so that's why I do the same thing in code. It was what we were taught more than 20 years ago at the Navision Academy.

The only thing you are missing is setting the "No." field to blank. When you write a loop and you use the same variable for creating the new document, the Init() command does not clear the primary key fields. Setting the "No." field to blank, and calling Insert(true) will trigger the standard number series to get the next number in your new document.

Here's some of my code from an app that I'm working on, same kind of thing:
    ryb0ffebh8dh.png
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Answer ✓
    In Navision, you can analyze each table and determine if it needs to be created in one transaction, or two. There are many reasons for each option, mainly either because of the way the primary key is generated, or because of validation down the track that needs the existence of the record in the database before it can proceed. So in Navision the simple rule is that if you are not sure then do it the safe way by 2 step 1/ INSEDRT 2/ MODIFY.

In BC though, you are never sure, because someone could have changed something or there might be an extension that relies on the existence of the record in the database.

So in simple terms, from BC14 onwards you should always do it the way Daniel suggests so that your code is agnostic to any changes made by other developers.
    David Singleton

Answers

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    edited 2021-08-10 Answer ✓
    Yes exactly. Some people will disagree with this by the way. There is one school of thought that says that you need to do simple assignments in code and stay away from validation code. I am firmly in the Validate camp though, I look at AL development more like a script that simulates a user entering the records. On all of the standard document pages, as soon as you leave the "No." field, the system will insert the record, so that's why I do the same thing in code. It was what we were taught more than 20 years ago at the Navision Academy.

The only thing you are missing is setting the "No." field to blank. When you write a loop and you use the same variable for creating the new document, the Init() command does not clear the primary key fields. Setting the "No." field to blank, and calling Insert(true) will trigger the standard number series to get the next number in your new document.

Here's some of my code from an app that I'm working on, same kind of thing:
    ryb0ffebh8dh.png
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Answer ✓
    In Navision, you can analyze each table and determine if it needs to be created in one transaction, or two. There are many reasons for each option, mainly either because of the way the primary key is generated, or because of validation down the track that needs the existence of the record in the database before it can proceed. So in Navision the simple rule is that if you are not sure then do it the safe way by 2 step 1/ INSEDRT 2/ MODIFY.

In BC though, you are never sure, because someone could have changed something or there might be an extension that relies on the existence of the record in the database.

So in simple terms, from BC14 onwards you should always do it the way Daniel suggests so that your code is agnostic to any changes made by other developers.
    David Singleton