The case of the missing data types

andre_nandre_n Member Posts: 12
Hi,

I have two native Navision 3.70 A databases which I both access with the same client, same licence. One database has two datatypes missing: OCX and Automation, the other one does not.
However, both databases have a report which uses Automation to write to Excel and I can run the report without problems on both databases.
When I try to create a new variable of type Automation in one database I receive error : 'Automation' is not an option - The existing options are (... all other data types...).
Tables "OLE Control" and "Automation Server" are populated. Re-installed the client which only made things consistent: now both databases have these types missing.
Has any one come across this type of glitch in the matrix before?
Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Andre

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    There IS problem with the License... you are using license wuthout C/OCX granule. With the reinstall process you synchronized the license to the wrong one. Check this. You must see granule no. 1750 in your license...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • andre_nandre_n Member Posts: 12
    Thanks kine, what you say makes sense, but I am using my developer's license, which does have granule 1750.

Here's some more from the same barrel:

I do get the data types in a clean Cronus database if I run the fin.exe directly instead of from the shortcut. But before you say zup file: I deleted that, it made no difference.
    Anyway, if I then access the offending database (without closing the client) I have the data types available again (so at least I can get on with the job).
    If I open the offending database first, and then the clean Cronus database, then the clean Cronus database loses the data types.
    Smells like caching spirit. Anyway, I can repeat the same behaviour on multiple pcs and it also makes no difference if I open the offending databases locally or through the server.

Hopefully the problem goes away when the customer upgrades to 4.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Did you check the license informations in time, when you did not see the options??? Please, check License information in the case, when you are not able to see the options. Still it seems to me, that there is problem with license .
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • andre_nandre_n Member Posts: 12
    As much as I want you to be right, at the time that I can not access the Automation data type, my license has 1,750 C/OCX available. Tried another developer's license: same thing. Thanks for trying though.
  • synapticsynaptic Member Posts: 2
    i had the same problem. solution was simple: open your navision client and load the correct license ( dev ) BEFORE you connect to the database. bug ? feature ? for me it worked.

bye danny
  • aciaci Member Posts: 41
    andre n wrote:
    As much as I want you to be right, at the time that I can not access the Automation data type, my license has 1,750 C/OCX available. Tried another developer's license: same thing. Thanks for trying though.

You need at least the Application Designer Granule to see the Automation data type. Forms Designer, Reports & Dataport Designers are not enough.
  • girish.joshigirish.joshi Member Posts: 407
    I ran into this problem as well. When I checked the license in the restored db, it appeared like I had access to the right granule.

The problem was when I initially created the db, I used the wrong license. Deleted the db, opened the correct license, then created the db, and the problem went away.
  • KarenhKarenh Member Posts: 209
    Has anyone come up with a solution for this problem?

I have granule 1750. I created a new db with my license. When I attempt to import a .txt codeunit I get the error Automation is not an option. So annoying.
  • KarenhKarenh Member Posts: 209
    Still having this problem with my developer's license. It should not be so hard.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    I'm also experiencing the same issue. System is a 5.0 SP1 database using NAV 2009 SP1 clients. I'm using a developer's license (NSC). Using the same license on two other systems works just fine.

Any thoughts?
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Seems like my License - Change didn't take right, even though my Developer's License info was showing in License - Information. I closed NAV then went back in and redid the License - Change. Everything was fine.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    I had one weird license problem that was caused by someone opening the license file before saving it.
    Even though the problem was not visible in the license, it caused the application tier to be considered unlicensed.

Microsoft told me to make sure the license file was saved directly, not opened and then saved.

This may or may not be the cause of your problem, but is something useful to remember.