Microsoft Dynamics

Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
edited 2005-09-28 in General Chat
It is out, a new name for Microsoft Business Solutions.

Microsoft Dynamics.

From MBSOnline.org

http://axaptafreak.blogspot.com

And on PartnerSource

Looks like Luc has to change his url name again :(

No more Microsoft Business Solutions

Maybe

www.mycdyn.com :D

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Yes, no more Navision, now only Microsoft Dynamics NAV :cry:

We can prepare some funeral for the word "Navision".

It will be hard to know, if someone is talking about Navision, Axapta or something other when you say "Microsoft Dynamics". I can see it:

"We are thinking about the Microsoft Dynamics"
    "Which version?"
    "NAV"
    "Ah, you mean Navision..."
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Timo_LässerTimo_Lässer Member Posts: 481
    I think this will be a product name and not a new company name.
    Is it right?
    Timo Lässer
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV Developer since 1997
    MSDynamics.de - German Microsoft Dynamics Community - member of [clip]
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Yes, it is a new product name for old products in new versions.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    It is out, a new name for Microsoft Business Solutions.

Microsoft Dynamics.

[...]

Looks like Luc has to change his url name again :(

No more Microsoft Business Solutions
    I think I'll stick to mibuso.com for a while. I think it's a strong name.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Timo_LässerTimo_Lässer Member Posts: 481
    [...]
    I think I'll stick to mibuso.com for a while. I think it's a strong name.
    "mibuso" is really a well-known name. Many people say "look at mibuso, there you'll find an answer" or "if you didn't find the download on mibuso, you will find it nowhere"

If you decide in the future to rename this community, you must hold the domain!

I've also registered a further domain for MBS-Support.info but the old will be kept.
    Timo Lässer
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV Developer since 1997
    MSDynamics.de - German Microsoft Dynamics Community - member of [clip]
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Hi,

I agree to keep the MiBuSo name, I was only making a joke. :D

Keep up the good work.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Absolutely keep mibuso, it is becoming THE place to go for anything related to Navision. I am spreading the name among my customers too. Like Timo said, any time I get a question from a coworker (you can't really brush off a customer :)) I ask 'did you check mibuso yet?'.
  • Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    Maybe sometime "to mibuso" becomes a verb as "to google" ;-)
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    I'm treating it more as a person, so I'd say 'let me ask mibuso and I will get back with you' :whistle:
  • QuasimodoQuasimodo Member Posts: 45
    According to the new product name Microsoft Dynamics, just being different ending with NAV or CRM, I think at least, only one product, called Microsoft Dynamics, will remain - but which one?
  • HalMdyHalMdy Member Posts: 429
    And with wich internal programming language ?
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Anyone with access to the Partnersource can have a sneak preview. :D

To all others, just wait what the future brings...
  • HalMdyHalMdy Member Posts: 429
    Anyone with access to the Partnersource can have a sneak preview. :D

Yep, a lot of marketing blabla, no answer to functional and technical interrogation from partners ... :(
    Personally, I think it will be good NOW to have an idea of the technical direction to take, so we could prepare our technical teams...
    I suppose we will go to some .NET-like world, but any informations ??
  • Dennis_DecoeneDennis_Decoene Member Posts: 123
    From what I've been told by Microsoft a little while ago (in Vedbaek), what will remain is a set of "components" comprising of the "best of" features of each individual product. These would be grouped via a web based interface.

Functionally, everything will strongly be focussed around workflows and user roles.

Starting Navision 5.0 (dynamics nav 5.0???) the IDE should be Visual Studio. The language will still be C/AL.

For the version after that, the language should be C#... Don't ask, I don't know how this will affect upgrades...

I have a couple of screenshots from 5.0. They should also be available via partnersource (so I've been told). If you can't find them, maybe I can post them somehow here...
  • itspeteritspeter Member Posts: 105
    Agreed with Denster, we treat mibuso like a human. We always said, "ask mibuso whether is there a way to solve this problem...". Our network team puzzled over our conversation, and asking who is the guy with a funny name "mibuso".

I was a C# developer, after join this company, picked up C/AL. Now it seems like going back to C# huh... Wasting my time and effort in picking up the programming. #-o Doesn't shine my resume. :cry:

I better cancel the plan to certified in Navision, wait for Dynamics NAV certification. Or else wasted the bond for 1 year. :-k
    Regards,
    Peter Ng
  • jesamjesam Member Posts: 100
    Visual Studio as the IDE, now that would be some serious innovation, and an innovation that is long overdue.
    Regarding to the language, I think once they get the Visual Studio IDE in, you could program Navsion in any .NET language available, as it all compiles down to MSIL. I suppose there will be a Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav namespace in which the Navision code will live.
  • janpieterjanpieter Member Posts: 298
    Starting Navision 5.0 (dynamics nav 5.0???) the IDE should be Visual Studio. The language will still be C/AL.

Really ... ? i stongly doubt that; these 2 (VS IDE and C/AL) don't see compliant with each other 2 me. :?

My bet is still that for noww we will still have a C/AL IDE.

If they would go to a VS IDE they will probably change language to C/AL . It doesn't sound impossible to me to create automatic routines that convert C/AL object type to C# for maybe 70%.

But true microsoft should by now be more clear about where we are going in more detail.

Personally i already attend to the Microsoft MCAD C# training but when i really need to use it (besides now it is good fun) i don't know.
    In a world without Borders or Fences, who needs Windows and Gates?
  • itspeteritspeter Member Posts: 105
    I agree with you jesam, it should be control in the namespace.

If I can choose, of course I will go for C# coding rather than C/AL code. Unless C/AL can perform something C# cannot (But this won't be happening in .net environment).

I was thinking might as well come out the C# version earlier, if want to change, it's better to change it earlier. Next release should be in C#. Or else all potential customers might wait for the C# version, because they all know the pain of migration. From their old system to Navision, and Navision (C/AL) to Dynamics Nav (C#). 2 times migration. #-o

Of course, these changes is good, in order to make Navision as a great product. :)
    Regards,
    Peter Ng
  • Dennis_DecoeneDennis_Decoene Member Posts: 123
    :shock: Uhm, guys, guys, hang on a minute,...

I did not say we would get C/AL.NET or anything, just our editor will be VS... that's it... nothing more. Instead of developing in C/SIDE, we will develop in VS.

The front end will change, not the core technology. That should come later (but will come).
  • jesamjesam Member Posts: 100
    I've been working with VS.NET since it was still in beta for the first version, and I can't see how and why they would incorporate it into Navision without compiling the code we write down to MSIL. It would cost a lot of money, a lot of raping VS.NET, and a lot of code that would have to bethrwon away again in the next version to just make VS.NET being able to compile C/AL to the existing FOB system. If it will have VS.NET, I'm very sure that at least the existing Navision functionality will be accessible through some .NET wrappers.
    But to be honest, I can't see how they are going to do this without converting the entire Navision runtime so that it wil run MSIL instead of FOBs. That would likely mean that they would also have to recompile/redesign the forms. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Nav 5.
  • janpieterjanpieter Member Posts: 298
    i agree jesam no way that will happen.
    In a world without Borders or Fences, who needs Windows and Gates?