Options

cant create a return using puchase order

diannegrdiannegr Member Posts: 6
:shock: Hi,

I am trying to create a return for a puchase using a puchase order with a negative quantity. However when I try to post this order (receive & invoice) I get a pop-up-screen saying "Amount must be negative in Gen. Journal Line Journal Template Name=",Journal Batch Name=",Line No='0'"

Why do I get this error? In the manuals and online help it says that one can use a purchase order as opposed to a return order to handle returns. Just use a negative quantity.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug? Please help!!

Dianne

Comments

• Options
    dmitripdmitrip Member Posts: 44
    Hi diannegr,

You can’t use negative quantities in sales/purchase when you use Item Tracking.
    Is it your case?

Yours,
    Dmitri.
  • Options
    Hi Dmitri,

I am not using any item tracking and I still receive the same error. Do you have any idea what is going wrong?

Dianne
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    You are getting this error because the invoice total results in a debit to the AP account. You can add lines with negative quantity to purchase orders, but the document total must result in a credit to the AP account.

Use a purchase credit memo or return order.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    Thank you all so much for your help and answers. It has really helped me understand how and when normal purchase and sales orders can be used in a return scenario. Much appreciated!

\:D/