Options

Multiple versions of NAV, finsql crashes, kernelbase.dll

CloudViking86CloudViking86 Member Posts: 6
edited 2020-03-24 in NAV Three Tier

Hello,

Have multiple versions of Dynamics NAV installed on the same machine in order to have a single entrypoint to all of our NAV-versions:
Dynamics NAV; 90 CU42, 100 CU3, 110 CU9, 110 CU13
Dynamics NAV Business Central; 140 CU0,140 CU5, 140 CU8

When I open "Nav Development Environment" (finsql) and the correct version of finsql matching the version of Nav I want to open and try to "design" a codeunit the application crashes with the following error messages:
Application: finsql.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ComponentModel.Composition.ChangeRejectedException
   at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Prod.CodeEditor.CompositionRoot.LoadComponents()
   at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Prod.CodeEditor.CompositionRoot+<>c.<.cctor>b__72_0()
   at System.Lazy`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].CreateValue()
   at System.Lazy`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].LazyInitValue()
   at System.Lazy`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].get_Value()
   at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Prod.CodeEditor.CodeViewModel..ctor()
   at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Prod.CodeEditor.CodeEditor..ctor(IntPtr)
   at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Prod.CodeEditor.CodeEditorFactory.CreateCodeEditor(IntPtr)
   at <Module>.CreateCodeEditor(Void*)
   at <Module>._WinMainCRTStartup()
Faulting application name: finsql.exe, version: 11.0.24232.0, time stamp: 0x5b883a31
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.3564, time stamp: 0x5e5f4b25
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000dc232
Faulting process id: 0x894
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5fcf51c13dcbb
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\110 CU9\RoleTailored Client\finsql.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 9b63bf4f-d767-479a-b14c-89e38fd100b7
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I can "run" a table just fine but as soon as I try to "edit" a codeunit then the Nav Development Environment-application crashes.

What I've tried:

* Registered DLLs as per this website:
https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/peik/posts/running-and-debugging-in-all-dynamics-nav-clients-on-the-same-machine
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\RegAsm.exe /register "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\90\RoleTailored Client\Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.WinForms.dll" /tlb

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\RegAsm.exe /register "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\100\RoleTailored Client\Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.WinForms.dll" /tlb

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\RegAsm.exe /register "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\110\RoleTailored Client\Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.WinForms.dll" /tlb

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\RegAsm.exe /register "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\110 CU9\RoleTailored Client\Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.WinForms.dll" /tlb

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\RegAsm.exe /register "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central\140\RoleTailored Client\Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.WinForms.dll" /tlb

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\RegAsm.exe /register "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central\140 CU5\RoleTailored Client\Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.WinForms.dll" /tlb

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\RegAsm.exe /register "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central\140 CU8\RoleTailored Client\Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.WinForms.dll" /tlb

* Renamed "Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.exe.config" to "Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.exe.config_old" and tried with finsql again, no change

* Deleted "C:\Users\<my-user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\PersonalizationStore.xml" and tried with finsql again, no change

* Ran "sfc /scannow" and restarted my computer and tried with finsql again, no change

* Downloaded a fresh copy of NAV 2018 CU9 W1 from Microsoft and deleted and replaced the current folder and tried with finsql again, no change

Anyone who have had the same issue and if so how did you sort it?

Found this so it seems to be an old issue [GERMAN, use Google Translate]:
http://www.msdynamics.de/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=35406

Krgds - CloudViking86

Update:
I found this article:
https://www.archerpoint.com/blog/Posts/correcting-issue-microsoft-business-central-developer-environment-crashing

Writing the answer here as well for posterity:

Start NavDevEnv (finsql) with the parameter "useoldeditor=yes"

This works, wondering what the difference is between the old editor and the new editor.

For more about the parameter:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics-nav/using-the-development-environment-from-the-command-prompt#finsqlexe-parameters

Update:
The solution above didn't work.
I was able to successfully open the codeunit with the "Design"-option but according to our Nav-developer:
"I can run design on codeunits now but the environment seems a bit strange. No auto-complete and looks like a really old version"
So to my untrained eye I was happy it "worked" but that did not solve the issue since the old editor isn't a feasible solution to work with.

Update:
The "solution" is simply to run the correctly installed finsql (ex. 2018 CU 9) when opening a database that is actually another CU (ex. 2018 CU 13).
Then it works, otherwise when trying to open it with the corresponding finsql of the correct CU it crashes when it has been manually transferred from the installation-zip.

*sigh*
It worked when opening a database that have 2018 CU13 and opening it with 2018 CU9 but when trying to open a database that have BC CU5 or CU8 with CU0 / RTM I get that the database is running a newer version then finsql can handle....... COME ON. Should this be such a hassle?????????