Using Navision 3.7 and 4.0 on the same client computer..?

izeColtizeColt Member Posts: 3
Hi ya folks!

I'm having a little problem here... I'm trying to use two different versions of Navision (3.7 and 4.0) on one client computer. Our client wants to have both Navision versions on their Terminal Server, so that their clients can use either version (depending which version lisence they have bought).

Ok, anyways, first I installed 3.7 and it worked just fine. After this I tried to install Navision 4.0 on the same machine, but faced a problem right after I had installed it. 4.0 was installed very well but it always overwrites 3.7 Client-folder and ignores 3.7's existence.

I also tried to rename 3.7's Clien-folder to Client370 so that 4.0 could be installed into Client-folder. After this .zup-files act like mad (atleast I think so)... Zups don't react in anyways on which Navision client has been ran.

So, I'm in need of advices here, oh thee great Navision gurus :wink:

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,499
    [Topic moved from Navision Tips & Tricks to Navision forum.]
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    1. Uninstall all Navision clients

2. Delete all *.zup files

3. Reboot

4. Reinstall Navision clients. Work from oldest to newest. Use custom install and select a different directory for each version.

Option: Use the command line switches when starting clients to point each version to a unique zup file.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • izeColtizeColt Member Posts: 3
    bbrown, thanks for the hints!
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Actually installing multiple versions works fine until you start using external components, like Outlook integration, or export to excel, or things like that. The various versions depend on their own versions of the dll's they come with. The thing about installing a newer version is that it registers the newer versions of various dll's, which can have unexpected results.

What I do is install only the newest version, and run the older versions from a copy of the 'Client' folder on my hard drive. Just copy the folder to your hard drive and run fin.exe or finsql.exe from it without installing it. As long as you stay away from those external components you should not have any problems.

It depends on what your goal is with multiple versions. If you are running a production environment, I would strongly recommend you have separate machines for each version. If it's a development environment, you could do multiple versions, unless you have to do something with the external components.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Best solution for multi-version env. is to have separate shortcut for each version with ID= parameter to use separate .zup file for each version. (I am using versions 2.01, 2.60, 3.10, 3.60, 3.70, 3.70B, 4.00, 4.01 without problem on same PC...) - but without outlook synch etc...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Right, so you'd have to have the client folder of all your versions on your hard drive, like this:

C:\Navision Versions\201\client\
    C:\Navision Versions\250\client\
    C:\Navision Versions\260\client\
    C:\Navision Versions\310\client\
    C:\Navision Versions\360\client\
    C:\Navision Versions\370\client\

And then you'd have shortcuts to the fin.exe and finsql.exe of each version. I also have a folder for my zup files:

C:\Navision Versions\Zupfiles\

For instance, the target of my 3.70 version (I did not install this version) is:
    "C:\Navision Versions\370B\Client\Program Files\Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision\Client\finsql.exe" id="C:\Navision Versions\Zupfiles\370B-SQL.zup"

You don't have to have the actual zup file in that folder. When you start Navision for the first time, it creates it.
  • KisuKisu Member Posts: 381
    I installed navision 4.0 sp2.
    Before I can install navision 4.0 sp3 how do I by pass the window that appears saying there is already one version installed on the system to get to the setup screen..

So I could get
    Nav 4.0 sp2 client
    and
    Nav 4.0 sp3 client
    on same computer
    K.S.
  • jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    First question as the others have said before is deciding if you are using the ADDONs and if not then as everyone has said you only need to run the client.

For example go to you Navision 4.03 CD and go the the eqivilent location on mine it is V:\NAV 4.X\Nav 4.0 UK SP3\Disk 1\Client\program files\Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision\Client

Copy the end \client directory onto your local system as the guys said versions directory etc and then just make a shortcut to the fin or finsql.exe onto your desktop (i then rename shortcut to show version etc) like the others i have v 2.0 - 5.0 on my desktop by SQL and classic

i think you just need to stop running the installer for each version basically. as the basic files are installed once although the difference between 2.0 and 5 may mean u need to install seperatly