Upgrade to Business Central

Grant1979Grant1979 Member Posts: 3
Hello,

I'm new to the form, but we are currently looking at upgrading our NAV 2013 R2 to business central. Concurrently to this we are also upgrading to Office 365.

We have a fair bit of customisation in our existing NAV, should we be going with an on premise upgrade, or straight to the cloud?

Regards

Grant

Best Answer

• Grant1979Grant1979 Member Posts: 3
    Answer ✓
    Thanks SanderDK,

Appreciate the response, yes the consensus I am seeing is at this point in time On Premise would be the better option for us.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply to me.

Regards

Grant

Answers

• SanderDkSanderDk Member Posts: 497
    Hi @Grant2019
    That depends on you needs, you could go directly to the cloud if you current needs can be converted into extension, and if you current setup is gear towards the cloud.
    Without knowing your needs it is hard to say what you can and can't do :smile:

Both Cloud and onPrem have advantages and disadvantages
    For help, do not use PM, use forum instead, perhaps other people have the same question, or better answers.
    Hi SanderDK,

Thanks for the reply. The feedback we have is going to the cloud may prove to be problematic with our extensions, so provider is recommending an on-premise version is the best way to go, for now. Reason being Microsoft hasn't ironed out all issues with extensions in the Cloud (is that correct?)

My only concern with on premise, is we need to upgrade our version of SQL on the server (if we go cloud this isn't required - would that be correct?)

We are also facing some performance issues, we have over 10 years of data in our system. Ideally this would become part of our solution when we upgrade. Is there any options available to us on this front? can we archive some transactions to read only and we only call up say 2 years of entries for majority of the business in our active database.

Regards
  • SanderDkSanderDk Member Posts: 497
    Hi Grant1979,
    With Wave2 of business central there is not "non extension way", So on that point, onprem vs cloud does not matter.

On my personal opinion I like the Onprem version better, because the you can do a lot more to the system ex. SQL Optimize, use extension with target internal, tune the performers to fix your own business needs.

The down site to the freedom of changing your own system is: Maintains.
    Depending on your SQL version you might be force to upgrade to a newer version of SQL, or upgrade your windows server to a newer version. That would not be a problem on the cloud, because this is handle by Microsoft.

The both win/lose is the automatic upgrade your are getting on the cloud. On one hand, you will never run on a old version, on the other hand, your are forced to do a upgrade of your extension.

For help, do not use PM, use forum instead, perhaps other people have the same question, or better answers.
    Answer ✓
    Thanks SanderDK,

Appreciate the response, yes the consensus I am seeing is at this point in time On Premise would be the better option for us.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply to me.

Regards

Grant
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,094
    [Topic moved from 'Navision Financials' forum to 'NAV Three Tier' forum]

Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!