Business Central and NAV2018 at the same machine

Maria-SMaria-S Member Posts: 90
Hello Experts,

Is it possible to have development environments for both NAV2018 (work) and Business Central (want to play with) on the same laptop?
The problem is different versions of Visual Studio Code AL Extension.
Can I have two "installations" of Visual Studio Code with different sets of extensions?

Best Wishes!

Best Answer

• Maria-SMaria-S Member Posts: 90
    Answer ✓
    I made it work:
    1) NAV2018 in container and normal Visual Studio Code connected to it (AL Language v.0.13.111304 ).
    2) Cloud Business Central and _portable_ Visual Studio Code with (AL Language v. 3.0.168874)

Answers

• SanderDkSanderDk Member Posts: 497
    Yes this is possible, just use different port numbers.
    For help, do not use PM, use forum instead, perhaps other people have the same question, or better answers.
    What do you mean different port numbers?
    I can have two installations of NAV and use different port numbers to access them, right.
    But how do I use different port numbers in order to have Visual Studio Code use two different versions of AL Language - this is not clear.

Answer ✓
    I made it work:
    1) NAV2018 in container and normal Visual Studio Code connected to it (AL Language v.0.13.111304 ).
    2) Cloud Business Central and _portable_ Visual Studio Code with (AL Language v. 3.0.168874)
  • SanderDkSanderDk Member Posts: 497
    Maria-S wrote: »
    What do you mean different port numbers?
    I can have two installations of NAV and use different port numbers to access them, right.
    But how do I use different port numbers in order to have Visual Studio Code use two different versions of AL Language - this is not clear.

If you google launch.json you will find the documentation of AL:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/business-central/dev-itpro/developer/devenv-json-files

tmdne4vu4vty.png

For help, do not use PM, use forum instead, perhaps other people have the same question, or better answers.
    Hi SanderDK, but if I just change the port, Visual Studio itself will have only one version of AL extension. Therefore if I try to compile BC app if I nave NAV2018 AL Extension, and BC app uses enums, it will give me a compilation error.

This was the problem that I tried to solve.
    But anyway, thanks for help and now it all works.