Options

Navision 5 aka Carsica

ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
Anybody heard of it? I'm all excited.
Anybody knows about the development environment?
I'm guessing they are using .NET System32.winform library for the forms, but what about reports?
Ahmed Rashed Amini
Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n

Comments

• Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    hm,

to be hones, I really don't think they will already use the .net development environment...

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    5.0 will have the same C/SIDE development interface. Maybe there will be some additional options, but certainly it will not be a big change. Internally, in the 'runtime' maybe it uses that namespace, but us Navision developers will not be using it directly.
  • Options
    As I understood several partner conferences ago, it's planned to integrate it fully in the .NET environment in version 7 or 8 ... but I could be mistaken ... .

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    janpieterjanpieter Member Posts: 298
    Well to be honest i don't think so. The ".net intergration" can be put into a wide perspective. Even version 4 could be called integrated into .Net as it uses the .NET framework (somehow).

My bet is that it will remain just C/side
    In a world without Borders or Fences, who needs Windows and Gates?
  • Options
    You could be right ... they even call C/SIDE an object oriënted development environment ... . ](*,)

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    janpieterjanpieter Member Posts: 298
    Technically they could not do this; but i gues they would do it anyway wouldn't they ? :shock:
    In a world without Borders or Fences, who needs Windows and Gates?
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    As long as I get a better text editor with debugging tools. I'll be happy. I'm also interested with it being web enabled and it's a 3 tiered system.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    I posted the same question on MBSOnline

Answer from Valentin Gvozdev about 5.0

HI,

I visited last Navision Conference and this is what I get from official presentations and unofficial conversations...

1. Microsoft moving all products into SO NAMED “Universal Client” – all products is Office, Outlook, Project Green Solution, BI…
    2. This “Universal Client” will be introduced with new version of Windows or slightly later…
    3. Navision 5.0 will RUN ON THE “UNIVERSAL CLIENT” – as I understand completely .NET environment
    4. USER WILL BE ABLE TO RUN EXISTING CLIENT OR “UNIVERSAL CLIENT”
    5. ALL PROGRAMMING IS STILL CAN BE DONE IN C/SIDE
    6. Navision will provide tool to convert Navision Form into “UNIVERSAL CLIENT” form
    7. AS I UNDERSTANT “UNIVERSAL CLIENT” IS WEB ENABLED
    8. IT WILL BE POSSIBLE TO PROGRAMM COMPONENTS ON .NET AND RUN Navision C/SIDE logic…

NOW GOOD STAFF

1. Navision 5.0 will be released 2H 2006 – NEXT YEAR! They show demo of 5.0 running on “Universal Client”
    2. BEFORE THIS 3 tire Architecture will be released for NAVISION – completely new from NAS – completely WEB Enabled

UNOFFICIAL TALKS…

1. Navision was able to create tool to convert Forms into “Universal Client” – all other products was not able to do this… They have to rewrite code – so decision have not be made to start this process – maybe they will never move this into “universal client” that will run Project Green
    2. A lot of questions was asked about future of the products: Officially – all products moving forward – unofficially “Navision is the only product that you should not be worried about – it is moving forward”