[FIXED] Problem generating virtual tables symbols

sergisoftsergisoft Member Posts: 37
edited 2019-07-30 in NAV Three Tier
I'm trying to publish the ukmakingtaxdigital extension into a recently upgraded business central database. Initially, I got a long list of errors due to symbols not created. So, I created them using the generatesymbolreference command on finsql.exe.

After this, the list of errors is just about Company and Integer tables.

I thought this could be caused because this is an upgraded database and maybe I need to publish Test.app and System.app to database before trying again.

However this also raised a new error saying:

Your program license does not allow you to publish 'Access Control'.

63coqj9v8wv4.png

Please note this is done on a testing environment so my published license on the server is a partner BC development license.

I was wondering if both issues were related to some kind of permissions problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sergi Navarro

MCTS: Microsoft Dynamics™ NAV 2009 C/SIDE Solution Development

Visit my Navision Spanish Blog here: http://www.sergisoft.com

Answers

• SanderDkSanderDk Member Posts: 497
    what is your entire publish-navapp ?
    For help, do not use PM, use forum instead, perhaps other people have the same question, or better answers.
  • sergisoftsergisoft Member Posts: 37
    Thanks for the answer. The Publish-NAVApp command I used, is displayed on the screenshot:

Publish-NAVApp -ServerInstance NAVTESTDB -Path "c:\temp\extensions\System.app"

Do you think I'm missing any parameter?

Regards,
    Sergi.

Sergi Navarro

edited 2019-07-23
    Hi @sergisoft,
    Yes I do believe that your are missing: "PackageType SymbolsOnly"
    Publish-NAVApp -ServerInstance NAVTESTDB -Path "c:\temp\extensions\System.app" -PackageType SymbolsOnly
    :smile:
    You need to remove the one you have install before this will work
    Right now it won't return an error, but the system.app will not publish.
    so start with:
    Unpublish-NAVApp -ServerInstance <ServerInstanceName> -Name <name> -Version <n.n.n.n>
    For help, do not use PM, use forum instead, perhaps other people have the same question, or better answers.
    Thank you @SanderDk I think I'm getting closer.

The -PackageType SymbolsOnly allowed me to publish System.app.

I checked noting was published already before publishing NAV-GetAppInfo.

So I did the next sequence:

Publish-NAVApp -ServerInstance NAVTESTDB -PackageType SymbolsOnly -Path "c:\temp\extensions\System.app"

Publish-NAVApp -ServerInstance NAVTESTDB -Path "c:\temp\extensions\Test.app"

Both worked correctly. After this, the Test extension was available on BC so I completed the installation from there.

Last step was to install the UK tax digital extension using the next command:

Publish-NAVApp -ServerInstance NAVTESTDB -Path "c:\temp\extensions\ukmakingtaxdigital.app"

This time it didn't throw any errors about Company or Integer tables, but displayed lots of errors about extension testing:

1ayjnz0rw22c.png

I have tried to recreate the symbols few times, unpublish the test.app and import it as SymbolsOnly... but none of those worked. These errors don't say these objects don't exist. Actually it's saying are ambiguous so I believe somehow these objects are "twice" on Symbols.

Any ideas?

Sergi Navarro

edited 2019-07-23
    This is a pain the first time😅
    Your are properly right about symbol beeing there 2 times. This is possible then one is with symbolonly and another is type "extension".

I think you can do one or two things:
    1. Start over (do a new upgrade and start from scratch with install symbolonly. (I know this is not allways a option)
    2. Uninstall and unpublish All exention and do a "sync-navapp -name xxx - version x.x.x.x -mode clean. (this Will remove your fields in SQL, kinda like the old with force). After this step remove symbol (use have to unpublish -name -version for All Pack (they can be found in SQL). Then start over with Publish synbol, compile All object with "generatesymbolreference" and install your extensions
    edited 2019-07-24
    Thank you again for your comments @SanderDk

So I think I went thought the steps, but it did not fix the issue.

I took some screenshots with what I did:

This was the initial status:

cikctdb9yxgc.png

So I unpublished both extensions:

1wogwpfyt5rh.png

Then I run the cleanup for both of them:

elagqx36f0bj.png

980o3gbyv5lq.png

After this, I recreated all the symbols. This took about 10 minutes to complete:

jtucvzc128tc.png

Once this was done, I started publishing both extensions again (system as SymbolsOnly). All worked except when I tried to publish the ukmakingtaxdigital where it stopped showing the ambiguous errors again.

166tbpgisfy0.png

:(

Sergi Navarro

Hi @sergisoft,
    As far as I can see in you screenshot you have published test.app without PackagedType SymbolOnly.
    Is that correct? if that is correct then remove it and publish it with PackagedType SymbolOnly.
    And after that try publish ukmakingtaxdigital.app again.
    And could you add a screenshot of "get-navappinfo" både with and without symbolonly
    Hi @SanderDk

I did all the steps again but this time using SymbolOnly during the Test.app installation:

ud9rj0z2qi2o.png

This is the current result of get-navappinfo:

cnzig759is2m.png

Again, thanks for your help!

Sergi Navarro

• ShaiHuludShaiHulud Member Posts: 228
    Have you tried restarting the NAV Server Instance (with "Enable loading application symbol references at server startup" selected) after publishing System.app and Test.app, giving it 5-10 minutes for (re)load of symbols and then trying it again? Had a case once where that helped in a situation where a custom extension wouldn't publish.
    Hi @ShaiHulud,

It did not work either. I saw that if I try to publish the extension too soon, there are lots of errors. But if I wait for some minutes, the list of errors goes back to the same from my last screenshot.

Thanks,
    Sergi.

Sergi Navarro

Good news! I managed to fix the issue.

The problem was that there were already some TEST objects on C/SIDE so when the extension for Test.app was published, this caused issues due to have objects twice on the background. I fixed it by searching those codeunits and deleting them from C/SIDE one by one.

Thank you all for your help.

Sergi Navarro

• aacnsilvaaacnsilva Member Posts: 23
    edited 2019-07-30
    Try to generate the symbols directly from the finsql.exe.
    To achieve this follow the following documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/business-central/dev-itpro/developer/devenv-running-cside-and-al-side-by-side

The command is: finsql.exe Command=generatesymbolreference, Database="Demo Database NAV (11-0)", ServerName=.\NAVDEMO

Afterwards try to re-publish the app.