Options

Automation DLL only on Server?

FrastiFrasti Member Posts: 11
Hello!

I have a DLL written in C# which works great within Navision through a automation variable.

My problem is that i have a lot of clients where i have to install the .NET Framework and register my DLL for COM (with regasm.exe) and install the DLL at the global assembly cache (with gacutil.exe).

Is there a possibility to use the automation variable so, that i have to install in only on the server and it works on the clients without any installation processes?
If there is no possibility that works through a automation variable is there any other chance to use the DLL through the server? My first idea was to create an executable instead of the DLL that i access through the network. The executable generates its output to a file that i also can read through the network.

THANKs...

Comments

• Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Not possible if your clients connect to the Navision database directly from the client machines. For this you could consider accessing Navision through Citrix. You have all executables on the Citrix box (including Navision), much easier to maintain.
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    Depending on what your DLL does, it is possible. if it's just getting informatiion etc. You could create a table where the client would write the request and on server you could have NAS monitor that table and use your COM and write a response back to the table, which the user then gets.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n