Problem upgrading data source in PowerBi web

AitorEGAitorEG Member Posts: 342
Hi everybody,

We have a customer with NAV installed on a server. To connect to the server via rdp, I must use a VPN.

In my laptop, I've created a PowerBi report, adding 3 data sources from nav. Of course, VPN must be on, and when adding the data sources I didn't have any problem, because I've added in the credentials one of the users we use to start session in NAV. Also, when I refresh data soruces, the changes in data are shown correctly.

But when I publish the report into the web version, and try to refresh data, I get a credential error. I'm trying to add into the credentials the same NAV account that i configure when adding the data sources into the desktop version, but I still get the error.

Why can be this happenning?

Thank you very much

Best Answer

Answers

• AitorEGAitorEG Member Posts: 342
    ouch... So as far as I understand, the data sources should be webServices accesibles outside the server without using a VPN?
    That's the difference with the desktop version? I think I'm n a trouble now...
  • DuikmeesterDuikmeester Member Posts: 304
    edited 2019-06-20
    The web version of Power BI works best with the cloud version of NAV/BC. Your alternative would be using the https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem however there are/were some limitations using that.

As I remember you can configure it using a on-prem SQL connection but not really using the Dynamics NAV datasource functionality.
    THnak you, I will work on the gateway issue, but I had problems with this earlier in this installation...
    The gateway should be installed into the server were NAV is installed??
  • DuikmeesterDuikmeester Member Posts: 304
    On a machine that can be accessed from outside and can access the SQL server. The gateway does not have a NAV connector.
    OK, thnaks for your tips, I'll work on it. Any way I asked to our customer's system provider if there is any chance to open the odata port to not require the VPN to connect