Options

Best practice for loading Images from NAV into an Add-In

marcussulicmarcussulic Member Posts: 15
edited 2019-01-23 in NAV Three Tier
Hello community!

Id like to create an Add-In in which I load images from NAV Fields and before I program it in a wrong and non-optimized way, I wanted to ask if perhaps any of you can share experiences or useful ressources as to how to approach this problem.

Im looking for a solution that provides relatively quick load times. As an example there are about 9-12 Images that are about to be displayed on a 1920x1080 screen. Multiple users are going to be opening the page with this Add-In during "rush hour"

Three solutions come to my mind:
1) Loading images directly from NAV Fields (can a datastream be transfered directly to C# Add-in without temporary download of the BLOBs in NAV? is it the slowest solution perfomarnce wise?)
2)Images get downloaded or manually placed onto the Server thats hosting the NAV Service Tier once a day and these images are then used in the Add-In
3)Every end user downloads or manually places the images on their Client PC (the fastest way performance wise?)

The easiest and the best for the end user way would of course be solution 1, but is it really a good one perfomance-wise?
Is solution 2 even possible? Can a client access (and display) images that are stored on the Service Tier Server? If yes, wouldnt it require constant redownloading of images on runtime?
Solution 3 would be really tedious.

I simply lack the experience, would be really nice to get some cool ideas/feedback.
Just tell me if theres something I didnt explain clear enough.

Best regards
Marcus