Options

Pros and cons of RTC connections over WAN

carugacaruga Member Posts: 2
Hi all,

We operate few companies and each one has her own NAV2017 installation (AD domains also, everything). Idea is to centralise IT infrastructure in one company and set operating companies to use RTC connections over WAN.

Are there some known issues? Any guidelines regarding bandwith, latency etc? Some pros and cons regarding this setup?

Maybe just "don't do it because..." :)

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Options
    KTA8KTA8 Member Posts: 391
    caruga wrote: »
    Hi all,

We operate few companies and each one has her own NAV2017 installation (AD domains also, everything). Idea is to centralise IT infrastructure in one company and set operating companies to use RTC connections over WAN.

Are there some known issues? Any guidelines regarding bandwith, latency etc? Some pros and cons regarding this setup?

Maybe just "don't do it because..." :)

Thanks in advance!

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics-nav/connecting-the-microsoft-dynamics-nav-clients-over-a-wide-area-network
    https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/f/technical/14427/navision-over-wan
  • Options
    carugacaruga Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for answer but i was thinking someone here has some real world numbers (recent).
  • Options
    KTA8KTA8 Member Posts: 391
    My role isn't a system manager but we've quite a similar problem two years ago and we go to cloud with a new AD domain using credential. The next step will use a direct vpn with dmz on two sides.
  • Options
    JuhlJuhl Member Posts: 724
    Running multiple customers this way, works fine if internet is fine.
    Also use site-to-site vpn to handle AD, file and printing.
    Follow me on my blog juhl.blog
  • Options
    sjc01234sjc01234 Member Posts: 11
    > @Juhl said:
    > Also use site-to-site vpn to handle AD, file and printing.

What do this mean site to site VPN? Is this simply to enable ad, file share and printing? Or to speed it up?

Our problem (due to internet latency) is file access and printing is very slow.
  • Options
    JuhlJuhl Member Posts: 724
    Site to Site, Means "merging" the two Networks, so they see each other.
    BUT internet should be ok, for this to work.
    For fileshare i use 50/50mbit as a minimum.
    Follow me on my blog juhl.blog