Options

Application Server

kampretkampret Member Posts: 38
Can anyone help me with this problem??
When I tried to run the Navision Application server using

nas appservername=nas1,servername=finserver,company="Cronus Indonesia PT.",startupparameter=p,nettype=netb

it returns
"The combination of user ID and password entered is invalid. Try again"

Do you need to specify the user ID and password to start the application server. what properties do I need to use to specify this?
There is also a property called startupparameter, what is the use of this property?

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    App server is loging with Windows Authentication under the account, under which is running. If you run it from command line, you must have WIndows login in Navision DB for your account. If you register NAS as service, you must define the account in the properties of the service. Or you can use command runas...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    server parameter, what should I enter for the value??

i have started the navision database server, and name it finserver.
    meanwhile, if I check the Services (administrative tools->service), there is one service name Database Server. This service is not started, and its service name is p4se(my computer name). For some reason, I can't start this service. Which of the service should I use for the server parameter??
  • Options
    The service in your services is standard service created in installation process. You can unregister it with

"nas.exe appservername=p4se, uninstallassservice"

than if you run command

"nas appservername=nas1,servername=finserver,company="Cronus Indonesia PT.",startupparameter=p,nettype=netb,installasservice"

new service will be created in services and you can set the account under which it will be running. For configuring the service you can use MMC snap-in.

Read documentation for this...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, the application server is now running, but I have another new questions :D

The questions:

1.What is the purpose of Application Server and Database Server?
    2.When I use Navision client(except as standalone), is it connected to Application Server or Database Server or can be both?
    I tried to connect to Database Server, it works fine, but not to the Application Server(I don't know how to connect Navision client to an Application Server).
    3.My understanding is
    Client -> Database Server = Valid
    Application Server -> Database Server = valid
    Client -> Application Server = invalid
    Client -> Application Server -> Database Server = invalid

-> means connected to
    is it right??

4.How do you change the name of the database server?
    I tried to run the database server using this command:
    "server servername=finserver,database=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision\Database Server\database.fdb,nettype=tcp"

But whatever is the value of servername, I always must use P4SE(my computer name). Both the client and Application Server Management must use P4SE.

Thanks
  • Options
    kampret wrote:
    Thanks guys, the application server is now running, but I have another new questions :D

The questions:

1.What is the purpose of Application Server and Database Server?
    Application server is Client without GUI... purpose is to run C/AL code on background (through timer, external events etc.)
    2.When I use Navision client(except as standalone), is it connected to Application Server or Database Server or can be both?
    I tried to connect to Database Server, it works fine, but not to the Application Server(I don't know how to connect Navision client to an Application Server).
    Client is always connected to DB Server. Because APP Server is client without GUI, it is always connected to DB server too.
    And because you are not able to connect client to client, you are not able to connect client to app server.
    3.My understanding is
    Client -> Database Server = Valid
    Application Server -> Database Server = valid
    Client -> Application Server = invalid
    Client -> Application Server -> Database Server = invalid

-> means connected to
    is it right??
    As written over...
    4.How do you change the name of the database server?
    I tried to run the database server using this command:
    "server servername=finserver,database=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision\Database Server\database.fdb,nettype=tcp"

But whatever is the value of servername, I always must use P4SE(my computer name). Both the client and Application Server Management must use P4SE.

Thanks
    That you change name of the server does not mean that the server is under this name known on network. In client, you enter name of the server - it means name which is resolved to IP address and can be translated to some PORT no. (through services file for example, where is written, that service with name FINSERVER is on port 2415). Or you can enter IP and PORT no. directly (for example 192.168.100.1:2415).

You must ensure, that client is able to translate the server name to correct IP and correct PORT no... (through DNS, WINS, HOST file etc.)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    thanks kine, now I am clear bout this problem.

When do you need to use application server? is it used when we create custom application? When we create a custom application (let's say using .NET), do we connect it directly to database or through the application server??
  • Options
    NAS is used, when you want some external interface to Navision with usage of all C/AL functions in applications (you can work with data through whole application logic). But you can connect the application directly too - but you must have special tables for writing and something, what will process the data in Navision (to be sure, that they are fullfilling application logic)

Simple applications can use direct acces (with caution) and more complex are better with NAS... it is on you...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    NAS is an unattended client session that can run as a windows service. It can do almost everything a human user can do (except some things like run dataports, and some other things). Basically, you use it to automate certain tasks, like check for files in a folder, or monitor a message queue, stuff like that.
  • Options
    Thanks guys,

How do you make a modification to the NAS? For Client, you can use the object designer to create or modify objects, how about the NAS?
    I haven't found any tools that can be used with NAS, the only tools that I use is only "Application Server Manager".

thanks
  • Options
    Because NAS is running standard C/AL code, you are designing through standard Navision Client. See NAS documentation for How to make code for NAS. Starting point for NAS is CU1 function with no 99 (NAS Handler). What you run there, it will run on the NAS....
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    There's a CASE statement inside the NASHandler function in codeunit 1. In this CASE statement you will find some of the standard functionality. The startup parameter that you enter in the NAS manager determines what happens.

For instance.... Let's say you want to write a record every minute. You would write a single instance codeunit called "Write Record", that contains a timer object that writes a record to a table every minute (any table, that is not relevant). Then, you come up with a startup parameter, let's say you call it 'WR' for Write Record. Then, in codeunit 1, in the NASHandler function, you add a CASE for 'WR', in which you start the single instance codeunit.

Now your NAS is ready to start, as long as your database is running in either Navision Database Server or in SQL server. You define the server, the database, the company, etc. etc. and this should do the trick.