Options

NAV 2017 CU18 and CU19 Setup problem

sheishei Member Posts: 9
Hi all,

I've issues installing the service component in both of the last CUs for NAV 2017 setups.
The setup fails with the typical "cannot start service" error, unfortunately without much detail why it cannot start the service. Database (tested with "our" database and the default CRONUS databases) and service account (domain account) are OK. Switching to CU17 does not give me any trouble in the same environment.
It seems to be a problem within the setup. Anyone tried to install these CUs having similar problems?

Best Answer

• Options
    RemkoDRemkoD Member Posts: 100
    edited 2018-06-14 Answer ✓
    That information came from the Windows Event Viewer.. the two errors I posted is everything that is logged :neutral:. Usually there is a more detailed error in the Event Viewer yes..

We've contacted Microsoft. They have confirmed that it is a known issue with CU19 (and 18?).
    On these machines, you need to completely uninstall the service, and also uninstall all .net framework components, and do a fresh installation. First install .NET 4.7, reboot the system, then install NAV CU19 from the product DVD. This is actually what helped us lately in such situations

We'll stick to CU17 until the issue is resolved..

Answers

• Options
    I wish I had read your post earlier :'( . Yes we've encountered the same issue. Though it's not only a setup issue. We encountered the issue during patching an existing NAV installation with a new CU (without using the setup from the DVD).

CU18 and CU19 cause the same mysterious abstract error on about 40% of our systems. CU17 is working fine.

Following errors are logged
    Source: Service Control Manager:
    A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server [DynamicsNAV100] service to connect.
    Source: Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Management.dll
    ServerInstance 'MicrosoftDynamicsNavServer$DynamicsNAV100' failed to reach status 'Running' on this server due to the following error: 'Cannot start the service.'
  • Options
    OfficeZierOfficeZier Member Posts: 5
    Did you try to look in the windows events? Mostly there is a bit more information about why it couldn't start.
  • Options
    edited 2018-06-14 Answer ✓
    That information came from the Windows Event Viewer.. the two errors I posted is everything that is logged :neutral:. Usually there is a more detailed error in the Event Viewer yes..

We've contacted Microsoft. They have confirmed that it is a known issue with CU19 (and 18?).
    On these machines, you need to completely uninstall the service, and also uninstall all .net framework components, and do a fresh installation. First install .NET 4.7, reboot the system, then install NAV CU19 from the product DVD. This is actually what helped us lately in such situations

We'll stick to CU17 until the issue is resolved..
  • Options
    TheCrowTheCrow Member Posts: 3
    I encountered this too and almost gave up. I tried complete uninstall, reboot and re-install but the CU19 middle-tier just wouldn't start. When re-installing back to CU9, it works. Applying the hotfix manually has the same result - it doesn't work. No configuration change will make it work. No clue on the Event Log apart from the exact same logs as posted here.

And then I found this post. It just needs the .NET 4.7 :'(

Thanks for sharing @RemkoD