Options

Language Default on NAV shortcut

JLeePlnrJLeePlnr Member Posts: 26
NAV Gurus,

I need help for setting up a language default as a parameter on classic client based on users' location.

I have French, Dutch, US and UK English to setup.

What is the best way to do it?

Appreciate your helps!!

Comments

• Options
    Can someone help me on this please?
  • Options
    Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    edited 2018-05-31
    I don't think you will be able to get easily (if at all) the 'user location' information in NAV. I am not even sure if it is necessary after all.

Me thinks that, for example, a French speaking user needs the French language in NAV regardless of their location. A person speaking French only will not start speaking English just by changing their location and moving to London or US. Therefore the language requirement is user-driven rather than location-driven

Fortunately, the language settings are remembered in user's zup file, so as long as users do not share the same windows account, and as long as you do not redirect the zup file location in NAV startup parameters, each user can set his individual language preference and that will be remembered in their network profile.

So the best option, in my view, is do nothing in NAV, but instead train the users how to change the language in NAV.

fin.exe / finsql.exe command-line parameter-wise - there is no option to set the language anyway.
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • Options
    Hi @Slawek_Guzek ,

Any possibilities to do it in code unit 1?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    There is GLOBALLANGUAGE var, you may try to change it with in OnCompanyOpen, but I've never uesd it
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • Options
    There is GLOBALLANGUAGE var, you may try to change it with in OnCompanyOpen, but I've never uesd it

Thanks a lot @Slawek_Guzek !!!

I highly appreciate all your helps!!!!