description field character limit

Hi,
I am just starting to learn NAV Classic after joining a new company. Every field seems to have a max character limit of 50. I deal with configured part #'s that are frequently more than 50 characters. Is it possible to increase the character limit in the description field on POs and SOs? This limit significantly reduces efficiency in data entry.
Thanks!

Answers

• RockWithNAVRockWithNAV Member Posts: 1,139
    I will suggest not to do this because this is a standard NAV field, Doing so will add much more work in your bucket like when this PO SO gets posted it hits multiple ledgers and sub ledgers and there too you need to do this which is never recommended. Apart from this there are too certain things that may come in your way which you even cant anticipate. So unnecessary you will create loopholes.

So this was Root Cause Analysis, Now the solution -

What I will suggest is you create one extra field with description and keep the length character as per your need, Now Copy String up to 50 to this standard field and remaining to the one which you newly created. Now make this field wherever you want and then pass the values.