Upgrade NAV2018 Webclient

PoltergeistPoltergeist Member Posts: 200
Hi,

Now that CU1 for NAV2018 has been released, I would like to upgrade all software. Server and RoleTailored client go without a problem, but I run into issues with the webclient. What I used to do is copy all files (except .config files) from the DVD to the directory where the client is installed. Restart IIS, and everything is fine. However, this does not work with NAV2018.

The first thing I found is that navsettings.json should not be copied, as it holds the settings on how to connect to the middletier. I'm not sure about the other .json files, but I did not copy them either, just to be sure. I get into the login screen (I'm using UserName authentication), but then there is the message "An error has occurred". I checked the applicationlog, and for sure, there is an error: It is pointing to the directory c:\inetpub\wwwroot\dynamicsNAV110\wwwroot\resources\extractedresources, and then wants to load the file "1033_11.0.19846.0_NavigationGroup_Home.png". However, that file is nowhere to be found. The file 1033_11.0.19394.0_NavigationGroup_Home.png is available, apparently from the former installation.

I could ofcourse rename all files with some commandline/powershell magic, but I would rather copy the files from the DVD. However, there, I cannot find them. Where are those files, or how can I create them?

Best Answer

• PoltergeistPoltergeist Member Posts: 200
    Answer ✓
    The files are not on the DVD. I just tested with CU2, and then the files in the extracted resources folder are created automatically when starting the web client. I did get a new script from Microsoft to extract the files from the DVD, so there might have been something wrong with the old script, as it probably did not copy all files needed (or to many files). Microsoft will probably place that powershell script on an MSDN blog for everyone to enjoy (I hope).

Answers

• ZC2015ZC2015 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, Did you find a solution to this problem?
  • PoltergeistPoltergeist Member Posts: 200
    Answer ✓
    The files are not on the DVD. I just tested with CU2, and then the files in the extracted resources folder are created automatically when starting the web client. I did get a new script from Microsoft to extract the files from the DVD, so there might have been something wrong with the old script, as it probably did not copy all files needed (or to many files). Microsoft will probably place that powershell script on an MSDN blog for everyone to enjoy (I hope).
  • Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    The ExtractedEesources is not a folder coming with the installation. It is a working folder, where the client application unpacks bitmaps, and then IIS fetches it from there later on.

IIS needs to have permissions to write to it, IIS_IUSRS account would require Read+Modify permissions for that folder.

In NAV 2017 it was a virtual directory Resources\ExtractedResources under the Web Client application linked to some physical folder where IIS was be able to write files. Not sure if that's the same in NAV2018
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • AitorEGAitorEG Member Posts: 342
    Hi!

I was searching a solution for an issue, and i found this post. I'm trying to install the WebClient for a NAV2018 new machine, but I can't find the way. I am comparing what I've done before in a NAV 2017 machine, and everything looks different, I cannot find the correcto folder structure, and the files. Did you solved this issue? Have you achieve to install the WebClient?

Thank you!
  • Developer101Developer101 Member Posts: 528
    Try installing web client from the DVD setup?
    United Kingdom
    Try installing web client from the DVD setup?

That is what I've done:

52bvb5na72kw.png

As you can see, I've converted the "DynamicsNAV110" fodler into a application:

kaysjajcs6uu.png

But wehen I try to browse the application, nothing is loaded:

kck16idvozmk.png

And I'm quite lost on this issue, becasue comparing to other NAV versiones, everything is different...
    You need to browse from the NAV 2018 Web Client website
    United Kingdom
    That is what I'm trying to do from the begining, But I can't create an aplication in that webseite to the "C:\inetpub\wwwroot\DynamicsNAV110" folder, because I get an error:

y0hrza9dy3xx.png

dwf3g09rcx0d.png
    It already existe an applpication with the path to that virtual access

ed3dvo3e5b0s.png

try running from here!!
    United Kingdom
    cx6japbz8q92.png
    The requested page can not be accessed because the data on the page is not valid.

Seems to be legit, becasue the site is not aiming to any directory with web.config file...
    I've changed the fisical path of the site (not sure if it is correct, but thwe path that was before was unexistent)

zjxf4130lhre.png

And now, I can see this:

90b4tijv6dvp.png

And when I browse the "WebClient"

06infzzt13g8.png

cw2xx2bhtiql.png

Seems to have problems with the web.config file, that it looks different to earlier versions of NAV....
  • smorodosmorodo Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm facing the same error as Aitor.

k8i4xs1ebeay.png

It seems to be a problem with the web.config file.
    Did you find a way to solve it?