Options

Upgrade from 5.0 to 2016

Hanen_THanen_T Member Posts: 32
Hello,
I have a customer that needs to migrate from NAV5.0 to NAV2016.
My question is: do I have to upgrade from NAV5.0 to NAV2009R2 first? What are the exact steps (best practices). Knowing that he has a lot of customizations on forms and reports. What should I do in this case for forms and reports!!!
I did it a long time ago using NAV2009, from NAV5.0 to NAV2009R2 and then to NAV2013 and the customer did not have a lot of customized reports or forms but this is not the case!!!! Is their any way to upgrade objects (forms/reports/CDU...) directly from NAV5.0 to NAV2016?
Any suggestions will be welcome.
Thanks for help!! :)
Technico-Functional Consultant NAV
It's all about passion of Navision World

Answers

• Options
    vytjakvytjak Member Posts: 36
    You would need to upgrade at least the tables to the intermediate version (2009R2), because there are no standard data migration tools to go directly from version 5 to version 2016.

As for the forms and reports - it depends on how heavy the customizations are. Coming from v5, it might be best if you identify the changes and re-do them in NAV 2016. In some cases, upgrading changes from version to version might be a better choice.

We deal with upgrades a lot, so if you're interested we could help you out here.
    Vytenis Jakas
    B3 Technologies - Making Technology Serve the People
  • Options
    Hanen_THanen_T Member Posts: 32
    Thank you vytjak for your message. I did migrate the tables yes but now I start merging forms on NAV2009R2 to transform them to pages and then can I merge directly to 2016 or I must use 2013/2013 R2 as intermediate in my upgrade. I did migration along time ago so now I'm starting from 0 again :smile:
    If you can help by telling me what are steps for technic/objects migration and what are for data migration will be greateful.
    Regards,
    Hanen
    Technico-Functional Consultant NAV
    It's all about passion of Navision World
  • Options
    loggerlogger Member Posts: 126
    Hi @Hanen_T ,
    Try to read https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics-nav/upgrading-to-microsoft-dynamics-nav-2017
    Upgrade process is observed there in quite detailed way, IMHO.
    Let's go!