Upgrading from Financials 2.00A to 3.60

xavigepexavigepe Member Posts: 185
edited 2005-07-27 in Navision Financials
Hello. We want to upgrade our customer's Financials 2.00 A to a 3.60 version. We want to upgrade only data (not objects). We are following the steps given in the manual and when we try to import upgrade1.fob to check for duplicate names we get the error "The backup copy can't be used with this programm version". Does anybody know what happens?.

We are a bit lost. Thanks.

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    We want to upgrade only data (not objects).

What does it mean?

I know only:

Application upgrade - upgrading objects and data
    C/SIDE (Technical) upgrade - using newer client with old data and objects... (for example 3.70 client with 2.60 DB)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • xavigepexavigepe Member Posts: 185
    Sorry for disturbing. Before asking, I think I must understand the whole upgrade process.

Thanks.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    my guess you want to use 3.6 client with 2.00 object. all u need to do is open the db with a 3.6 client. It'll ask u if u want to upgrade. click yes and u are done.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • SandraSandra Member Posts: 52
    all u need to do is open the db with a 3.6 client.
    xavigepe is right, he has to check first if there are any objects with the same name. Until 2.60 it was possible to give objects the same name. The primary key was the object number. This changed from version 2.60 onwards. After getting rid of the doubles then the conversion should run just as ara3n said. So if you can not get the upgrade kit working try doing it by hand setting filters. Not nice but it definetly is a workaround.
    P.S. do yourself a favour - why not upgrade to 3.70 right away. It runs much smoother then the 3.60 and you have a lot of new and cool developer features.

Regards
    Sandra
    Sandra you are right. In fact i want to do this:

upgrade from 2.01 to 2.60
    upgrade from 2.60 to 3.70
    finally upgrade to 4.00

I have to upgrade data and objects, but just new tables and fields not other functionallity.

Thanks for your answers
    I am not quite sure that you have to take these inbetween steps. Maybe from 2.00 to 2.60 but then you can do one big jump. I would guess that the step from 2.00 to 2.60 is only necessary because of the object reorganization that you discussed (same names etc.) but after that it should be an all clear to the 4.00! Don't you have an navision solution center that you could check back with??? Well whatever - good luck!

Regards
    Sandra
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    xavigepe wrote:

I have to upgrade data and objects, but just new tables and fields not other functionallity.

You mean, to have standard functionality from old version, but your custom modules (tables, fields) upgrade to 4.00??? Or you want to still use 2.01 with new functions from 4.00??? I must warn you - it seems, that you are getting into troubles... you want make intersection between 2.01 with 4.00???

Sorry, I still do not understand your objectives...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    I believe that xavigepe wants to make a technical update. i.e. running 4.00 Server and client with object from 2.00.
    I'm doing an application upgrade.
    Nowadays, I have upgraded my 2.01 version to a 2.60 version.
    Next step, as Sandra said, will be upgrading from 2.60 to 4.00 (ufff).
    My intention is to customize in the 4.00 version only the tables and fields that were created specifically for our cusomer, the rest of the functionallity will be 4.00 standard.
    I'm following the upgrading quick guide from the partnerguide site and I'm having serious problems, but I must check I'm doing everything allright before disturbing you.
    I apreciate very much your help and I will keep you informed.

Thanks