NAV Database replication

Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
Hi All,

Did anyone notice a "Replication Type" column when you lookup a database in Dev Env (NAV2017) ?
6igxa2do5rxc.png
I wonder what is it for and does it suggest that Microsoft is working on build-in DB replication for NAV?

Slawek

Slawek Guzek
Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03

Answers

• JuhlJuhl Member Posts: 724
    Hi Slawek

This is information from the SQL Instance indicating if the database is being replicated and what type of replication is used.

Thinking about there is no reason to implement this in NAV, well maybe on a per company basis, when we have the power of SQL behind :-)
    Follow me on my blog juhl.blog
  • Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    NAV database, as it is designed now, is not suitable for replication. You cannot configure and enable replication on it and hope it will work - it will not because the primary keys in all tables (maybe except a few) are not suitable for replication. OK, maybe you'd get away with one-way replication, but that type of replication in an ERP environment has almost no value, maybe except for having a copy for reporting..

A question aries then (at least in my head) - why Microsoft included this particular bit of information in the Database Lookup screen?

Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
  • Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    As for no reason of implementing replication - think about a distributed application, say a network of shops, where each shop operates NAV clients in a local server and local network, and the multiple shops are synchronized with the HQ or even between each other. And the SQL Server handles all of that.

There are quite successful NAV partners which provide 'home made' replication solution, at a cost of significant modifications.

Slawek

Slawek Guzek
  • JuhlJuhl Member Posts: 724
    I agree, but for readonly replicas it’s fine, for reporting or backup.

Don’t know why it’s there, just what it tells you.

I tried Rapidy Online 5 years ago, a nightmare :-)
    Follow me on my blog juhl.blog