Options

NAV 2013 Dev Env won't access databases

MMattMMatt Member Posts: 14
edited 2017-10-31 in NAV Three Tier
Very much a new user, just going through training docs. The 2013 c/side docs come with fobs, but they don't work with 2017 (what I'm using). It tells me to use 2013 and update them.

This is the error when I try to use 2013: https://i.imgur.com/KAREOFK.png

NAV and SQL are local. I've tried every fix I've read about regarding changing configs, tcp/ip, server browser, literally everything I've come across. NAV 2015 and up don't have this issue. Network Service User configured in SMSS. RTC will connect with configured service.

It sees the sql server, but it cannot pull the database information. No one has come across this before and all attempts have been foiled by the same error message.

If anyone has further insights, it would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: And if there's any more info I should include, please tell me, I will.

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓
    I fixed it.

Going through page after page of google, I found a reference to TLS 1.0 and NAV 2013 and if it wasn't enabled, it would cause issues. So I turned it on. You can use IISCrypto or use regedit and go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.0\Server

And change enabled to 1.

This still doesn't make sense to me, but oh well.

Answers

• Options
    Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    Try to make your AD account a member of the db_owner database role in target database
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • Options
    Try to make your AD account a member of the db_owner database role in target database
    Just to make sure I am following correctly. DB (NAV 7 Demo) -> Security -> Roles -> Database Roles -> db_owner

If this is the case, then that did not resolve the issue, but thank you for trying.
  • Options
    Yes, that's what I meant.

I am right thinking that you are using SQLEXPRESS as a named instance? Your server name is in form somecomputername\SQLEXPRESS?
    Slawek Guzek
  • Options
    Yes, that's what I meant.

I am right thinking that you are using SQLEXPRESS as a named instance? Your server name is in form somecomputername\SQLEXPRESS?

Yes. This is just for the demo db on a local machine, so the naming didn't really matter and I let it default.
  • Options
    When you try to connect to the demo database what do you have in Advanced tab? crlye22ex3v5.png
    Slawek Guzek
  • Options
    Just like your screenshot. Though I have tried running via tcp and named pipes (having configured sql the same)
  • Options
    MMatt wrote: »
    (having configured sql the same)
    What do you mean by that?
    Check if you have 3 protocols, shared memory, named pipes and tcp/ip available on the SQL server instance - make sure all 3 are enabled.

Also check if you have external connections enabled on SQL Server instance - SSMS and NST may connect through shaerd memory driver, not sure if that counts as an external connection.

Slawek Guzek
  • Options
    MMatt wrote: »
    (having configured sql the same)
    What do you mean by that?
    Check if you have 3 protocols, shared memory, named pipes and tcp/ip available on the SQL server instance - make sure all 3 are enabled.
    That's exactly what I meant. All those options are enabled.
    Also check if you have external connections enabled on SQL Server instance - SSMS and NST may connect through shaerd memory driver, not sure if that counts as an external connection.
    Ran this query to verify:
    EXEC sp_configure 'remote access', 1 ;  
    GO  
    RECONFIGURE ;  
    GO

• Options
    I have run out of ideas frankly speaking. It must be something simple and obvious...

Did you type your SQL server name in login box or did you look it up? Can you lookup the server in the server list? If you have correct server name can you lookup your database name on login screen?

Do you have only named instance in your test environment, or is it an additional instance? Is your SQL Server Browser service running?

Maybe try to trace the server login attempt with SQL Server Profiler, or general server activity, perhaps you spot something.

Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
  • Options
    edited 2017-11-02
    Tried typing (as ".\sql" "localhost\sql" "dns\sql"). No success. Lookup works. I can see any and all sql instances. I can't look up databases, that's when this error pops up.

I've tried multiple named instances, just in case there was a bad config on this one. Server browser is running. Tried changing the user things are running under, no luck there either.

Server Profiler shows no activity when I click the "db lookup". That makes me think the call is being blocked before even getting to it, but I don't know why.

Thank you very much for your attempts.
  • Options
    Can you stop local Windows Firewall service and retest? Or any other firwall (or antivirus) services - just for sake of testing..

If you have many instances then port 1434 will only get you to the SQL Server Browser, if other ports are disabled it might be the cause. Although it makes not much sense as local firewall should not block any internal traffic, certainly not to and from localhost...
    Slawek Guzek
  • Options
    Right? Shouldn't block anything over local. Either way, made sure the windows firewall was disabled. Then turned off webroot as well. Still have the same issue.

It's a weird one, that's for sure.
  • Options
    127.0.0.1\SQLEXPRESS ?
    Slawek Guzek
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    I fixed it.

Going through page after page of google, I found a reference to TLS 1.0 and NAV 2013 and if it wasn't enabled, it would cause issues. So I turned it on. You can use IISCrypto or use regedit and go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.0\Server

And change enabled to 1.

This still doesn't make sense to me, but oh well.
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,096
    [Topic moved from 'NAV/Navision Classic Client' forum to 'NAV Three Tier' forum]

Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!