Options

Slow Performance & Windows opening in RDP-RemoteAPP - but not on "fat Client" ...

Hi all,

i am experiencing some strange behaviour on my remote-App-Farm providing NAV (finsql.exe)

Users are using NAV as a remoteapp provided by 3 loadbalanced 2012R2 Servers using a 2 Server HA-RDP-Gateway/Session broker.
All Servers have huge CPU and RAM, looking at their usage shows that they really are "bored" the whole day.
Approx. 30 Users / Server -> max. 100 at all at the same time.
All RDP-Servers are in the same subnet as the SQL-Server hosting the NAV-Database, 1GB/s LAN is provided and stable.

Now when users aren´t using the optimal sorting in a table and start a search (e.g. for a name in the customer table)
a small popup-windows shows up telling me that the table "Windows Access Control" (in german "Windows Zugriffssteuerung" ) is being searched
using the Key: Login-SID, Roll-ID, Mandator-name

Using a local client ("Fat install"), even on PCs in "small-bandwidth"-Facilities via VPN doesnt show this behaviour ... everything is fine.

Does anybody have an idea from what or where these "delays" and search-popups could come from ?

Kind regards and have a nice weekend !

Markus

Answers

• Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Do you have any customization made to security like record level filters based on permissions? Navision should be reading the access control table when you first log in. r maybe there is an issue with cache that the permissions are not stored on the RDP client and thus continuously refreshed.

The first things I would check would be Object cache and TempFilePath in the client options set up. Sometimes with roaming profiles the temp folder could end up being on the local computer, so Nav is then going from the RDP client back to the host to get the data. I have never seen this with Windows Access Control table, but I have seen it with other data, such as using MARK, so the concept could be the same.

Importantly I would check the folder shown in the options, then whilst the user is running NAV check to be sure that NAV is definitely writing to the temp folder on the RDP Servr, and not to the local client.

daiam2kxtnxk.png

Next check if you are using Roaming profiles and if so check where that data is actually being stored.

David Singleton
  • Options
    gadrecsgadrecs Member Posts: 10
    Dear David,

thanks for the reply. Pittyfully i have exactly these settings ... i also checked Network and CPU / RAM usage: the RDP-Servers are really "bored" during the day.

i will have to re-design the RDP-Farm together with the Server-Team ... or get the bandwidth between RDP-Hosts and the storage higher ... maybe theres the bottleneck ...

Have a good start in this week !

• Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    edited 2017-10-16
    gadrecs wrote: »
    ... telling me that the table "Windows Access Control" (in german "Windows Zugriffssteuerung" ) is being searched
    using the Key: Login-SID, Roll-ID, Mandator-name

Next I would take a closer look at this. The security should all be read in at login, so why is it doing this. One other possibility is that Windows Access Control links to the Windows Login Table which links to the Active directory. This may be a misnomer, and in fact the delay is most likely some where else.

You could have some issues with Active directly, for example I have seen cases where the BDC is located off site, and for some reason a client points to the BDC instead of the Active, and can cause some heavy slow down.

Either way take a closer look at anything that connects from the client host computer back to the Server farm OUTSIDE of the RDP environment. Something that is sending actual packets over the network and focus on Latency more than actual network speed.

David Singleton