Upgrade 5.1 to 2009

tiamattiamat Member Posts: 1
Hello,

I have a Nav 5.1 in production, and i want to (for now) migrate to 2009 R2.

The conversion for the classic client is ok. Everything works perferctly.
The next step is to progressly migrate with RTC.

How can i import the 2009 objects on my installation. I don't want to loose the specific fields, codeunits .. I understand i have to recretate all the reports and the pages, but i want to keep the cronus one for begining.

so i want my old 5.1 datas (tables + codeunits + dataport) and the new 2009 datas (pages, reports, updated codeunits, updated tables)

is it possible ?

is there is a merge tools ?

Thanks.

Tiam.

Answers

• Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    Hi,

There is a transformation tool in the root of installation DVD. There are also some readme files and transformation script samples.

The first step is technical conversion to 2009 R2. As I understand you have already done it.

The next step is to convert custom and modified pages (non-modified pages can be imported from Cronus.

The process is bascialy export forms in text, convert, import pages, see what is not compiling/missing, change the code on the form and/or change conversion rules, export, convert...

It may be easier to take standard page and code merge changes - all depends what and how was customized.

It is good to move all or most of the code off the pages into codeunits or tables, leaving only code dealing strictly with UI. This is also a part of good practice/NAV recommended design patterns As a minimum I'd suggest to move all the code from triggers/controls on forms into local functions.

I've seen a tool in Download section which automates most of the export/convert/import process, it may save you a few clicks/renames

Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03