Options

Power BI Republish a document

Toddy_BoyToddy_Boy Member Posts: 230
We are trialling the professional version of BI which has some definite benefits over the desktop version, however I may be missing something very obvious. I've updated a document locally to include a few new fields and measures. When publishing this document to power bi I can see the new document is there as it has the new tabs that have been created, however those tabs have error messages on the graphs e.g. Fix This. Even after a refresh these messages still appear so the publishing of a report does not seem to republish the data set or whatever metadata is surrounding this.

The only way seems to be to delete the report and subsequently the data set from the web Power BI and republish from the desktop. Not great, even compounded when this document is shared in a content pack from which it is deleted when the report and data set are deleted.

Have I missed something obvious about republishing a document as having our users get the report again from the content pack after any update will prove irritating in the least?
Life is for enjoying ... if you find yourself frowning you're doing something wrong

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓
    We've implemented App Workspaces with a schedule refresh which works a treat.
    Life is for enjoying ... if you find yourself frowning you're doing something wrong

Answers

• Options
    HannesHolstHannesHolst Member Posts: 119
    hi,

As far as I remember you need to update the DataSet.
    For existing DataSets, PowerBI schedules to update data once a day by default only.

Even when the report/dashboard says "Refresh", it will reload the data of the PowerBI-database only.
    Data from SQL will be downloaded once a day only (by default).
  • Options
    OK thanks, I'll look into that.
  • Options
    thomasbarbutthomasbarbut Member Posts: 25
    Hello,

is the source Database On-Premise behind the router or in the cloud?
    Depending on that I can provide you the steps needed to autorefresh de data.
    There are 3 possible ways of achieving the refresh.

regards,
    Thomas Barbut
  • Options
    The database is sat on our server On-Premise with the Power BI On-Premises gateway.
  • Options
    thomasbarbutthomasbarbut Member Posts: 25
    Hello

In this case the 2 options
    Use Direct Query (works only with MSSQL) which will update data in POWERBI online. This is good for small datasets.
    https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-use-directquery/

Scheduled refresh if it is not Direct Query.
    https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-refresh-scheduled-refresh/
    Only a maximum of 8 automatic refreshes per day. If you need additional refresh you can do it manually.

Hope this helps you. . .

best regards,
    Thomas Barbut
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    We've implemented App Workspaces with a schedule refresh which works a treat.