Dynamics NAV 2017 Application Server

lzrlzr Member Posts: 264
edited 2017-09-02 in NAV Three Tier
I am currently doing an upgrade from NAV 2009 to NAV 2017 and the last step is to attach a NAV Application Server to my database and make it run the old Job Queue Entries. This was really simple before but I can't find any document on how to configure it for NAV 2017. Codeunit 450 which was used for NAV 2016 is now different and I can't get my NAS to start.
I can get the tasks started with task scheduler but then job queue entries will run with the incorrect user who might not have sufficient permissions.

Really grateful for any comments around this.
Navision developer

Best Answer

• JuhlJuhl Member Posts: 724
    Answer ✓
    Task Scheduler is the new NAS.
    Create a second service and enable Task Scheduler only on this, run the service with the user account that has permission.
    Follow me on my blog juhl.blog

Answers

Answer ✓
    Task Scheduler is the new NAS.
    Create a second service and enable Task Scheduler only on this, run the service with the user account that has permission.
  • lzrlzr Member Posts: 264
    Thanks for clarifying that! Don't understand why they left the NAS section in the instance window, really confusing.

Are you sure it is the service account which is running the jobs and not the userid which can be seen in Job Queue Entry? Found out I can easily change userid in the job queue entry but just modifying the jobs.
    Navision developer
    You have to test. Because task scheduler can run different ways. You can create task directly without using job queue, but task scheduler also runs the job queue, or it creates a task from the job queue entry. So job queue is not the "queue" anymore.
    I got it all working now. Have to think in a different way I guess. It's too bad the old NAS can't be used anymore though, gives a lot more control over what is happening. For example if you want a certain user executing on a certain service/server.

Thanks for your help!
    Navision developer
    Your right. But TS is much more stable, and you have retries and error codeunit.
    But when used from job queue everything still stops which has always been annoying.
    What about when you have several companies in the same database which all use different regional settings? Is it possible to control which company the tasks are running by creating a new instance with the "Services default company" set per instance? Otherwise this might be a problem where dates are screwed up on all automated reports.
    Navision developer
    Not possible, but there are workarounds discussed on several forums, but it's another story.
    When several services has TS activated, it's random which service handles the request.