How do I know that NAS is down

ashu_gargsashu_gargs Member Posts: 16
I need to inform the Administrator if NAS id dwon. Is there any way to find the status of NAS? If calling some routine in Single Instance Codeunit using Timer Controls hangs the system, how do i know that it has hanged??

Comments

• StephanStephan Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I wrote a batch file for that purpose.
    You can query the nt-service in which status it is.
    netsvc is a tool which comes with the microsoft resource kit (AFAIK).
    Like this:

%DIR%\netsvc %service% %server% /query >%DIR%\status.txt

If you then use a command line email smtp tool like "blat guy" or similar, you can send the status.txt as email to the adminstrator.
    If it hangs you can also automatically try to restart the NAS with netsvc.

Stephan
  • ashu_gargsashu_gargs Member Posts: 16
    Hi Stephan .. Thanks for the reply ... It should work.. Can I also use the shell command to run this utility...I was not able to download this from net for Win2k3. Can u pls. tellthe resource for this.. Thanks
  • Peter_WijntjesPeter_Wijntjes Member Posts: 28
    As a consultant specialized in creating back-office Navision functionality (posting client, B2B message handling) I have a lot of experience in this field.

What workst best for me is to have the NAS update a field in a "NAS-Status table" every x seconds. This can then be used as a "Still-Alive" indicator.

I have another process that monitors this table every y seconds to see if the NAS is still running. This approach has an advantage over inspecting the status of the NAS service since you can do it from within Navision and there are situations where the service is in Running State, but is actually hanging.

Of course both intervals are configurable.

BTW I use the same NAS-Status table to monitor the last activity of the NAS and some time intervals to monitor performance as well.

Does this help?
    Peter Wijntjes
    MBS NAV Consultant
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    In the services of Windows, in tab Recovery, you can tell Windows he has to restart the service if it crashes. It is also possible to run a batch-file. In the batch-file you can put a NET SEND - command to the computer of the administrator.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• joepkoekjoepkoek Member Posts: 2
    My NAS posts its session information in a NAS settings table. When a client checks the existance of as NAS it checks if there is a session with the parameters shown in the NAS settings table. This way there is no use for a heartbeat.
  • pduckpduck Member Posts: 147
    the problem is that their is difference between nas is down and the service is down ...

we wrote a program with several checks:

-> db service running
    -> nas service running
    -> nas initialization okay ? (checks eventlog for the last message that the nas service started and (must be a following message) that nas was initialized properly)
    -> checks the following eventlog entrys for customizable nas messages (another user has changed ..., table does not exists any longer ...)
    -> checks a controller table in the database, where the activities for nas are stored in a queue
    -> does the nas process activities (-> nas hangs!)
    -> is their any activity which was started but not finished in a defined time (-> nas hangs!)

if any check fails the program sends a mail with the error log.
  • aztecconsultingaztecconsulting Member Posts: 55
    We are using Microsoft Operations Manager to monitor the service but we find it occasionally removes itself from memory and reappears. The service isn't set to restart so we suspect the code has a trigger that will cause it to unload and reload but we have a support item opened with our solution center to find out.
  • TomasTomas Member Posts: 420
    I have another process that monitors this table every y seconds to see if the NAS is still running. This approach has an advantage over inspecting the status of the NAS service since you can do it from within Navision and there are situations where the service is in Running State, but is actually hanging.

Hi Peter

What kind of "another process" do you have? Something like timer based trigger?