Options

Avoid the "definition has changed" error

ivarskivarsk Member Posts: 12
Hi,

With NAV 2009-2015, if we happened to change an object, say the Customer table, while somebody was browsing e.g. Customer list/cards in RTC, nothing bad would happen, and RTC would silently pick up the modified object when the user goes away and back to the Customer list/cards.

Now with NAV 2016-2017 this (at least with the default settings) this seems to have changed, and as soon as an object is modified (even if just recompiled without a change), the user gets the error:

The definition of the Customer Table has changed. Start your activity again.
Page Customers must close.

Can we somehow avoid this error in NAV 2016-2017 and make it bahave like NAV 2009-2015 did ?

Answers

• Options
    JuhlJuhl Member Posts: 724
    I don't think so, its design.

Do your development in a another database and move changes in one go.
    Follow me on my blog juhl.blog
  • Options
    ivarskivarsk Member Posts: 12
    edited 2017-07-05
    Too bad if true. Provided that our devs know what they're doing, patching things would not affect user work in 2009-2015. Now that users are punched with this fatal red error once in a while and out of nowhere, I guess the only thing they can honestly think is like "WT... NAV again???". We can of course agree to do deployments in non-business hours etc., but this here is a nasty removal of convenience :(
  • Options
    JuhlJuhl Member Posts: 724
    BTW this also happens in 2009, at least when compiling tables.
    Follow me on my blog juhl.blog
  • Options
    Tina_MenezesTina_Menezes Member Posts: 12
    Hi,
    No, there isn't any way you can avoid this error. A better option would be to do your development and customization in another database and move everything to your production database in non business hours.