Options

Exporting/importing data in RapidStart Config. Packages

BorisKBorisK Member Posts: 45
Very simple question.
What is the difference between exporting/importing package and exporting to/importing from Excel?

Many thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    bilalraibilalrai Member Posts: 50
    edited 2017-07-05
    Answer # 1:
    Using the Rapid Start Services in NAV we can export data to excel files but these files are templated/formatted and then we can make changes in them or add data to them from some legacy system etc and then we can import them in NAV. This approach is mainly used to make bulk changes or add bulk data insted of editing/ typing each and every record.
    Note: We can only import those excel files which are templated/formated by NAV.
    Description:
    I have attached images. The first image is the one which contains data for bank accounts from some old system and we want to import it to NAV instead of typing. So for this purpose we export an empty excel file of specific table(Bank Accounts) from config worksheet which contains all fields as columns with datatypes. Copy the data to it and then import that excel file to NAV.
    We cannot import an ordinary excel files to NAV. Hope this will give you some understanding. Regards,
    Bilal Haider l67aab6841ll.png
    [img][/img]4ifvnyn60wz4.png

• Options
    BorisKBorisK Member Posts: 45
    Thank you Bilal,
    But to answer my question - is the difference that you can
    - export data into Excel, edit it there and then import the edited data into another company;
    - but if you export a package you can't edit it and have to import the whole package?
  • Options
    @BorisK Check my Answer#2 and when you import package you dont need to apply data for all the tables. Just select those table lines in the list and apply data only for those. I have attached an image. I have imported a package and then select only those lines in the Config Worksheet for which I need data. j5rts2wpcynb.png
  • Options
    Some addition to your recent comment. If you import a package to another company then you can edit it using excel. Same as you mentioned earlier "export data into Excel, edit it there and then import the edited data into another company;"