Options

NAV2017 Report Designing - Slow Visual Studio 2015

eYeeYe Member Posts: 168
edited 2017-04-25 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,

I have not yet been able to establish the cause of the issue, but when designing the layout of NAV2017 reports it opens VS2015.
But when clicking on a control it takes about 3-5sec for the UI to update. Even in the Properties window clicking on different properties as well as opening a menu in the menubar.

If I open a different project, VS behaves normally.

Anybody else have this issue?

A workaround that I have found that is working for me is to keep the VS2015 window open (close all tabs - else it will prompt you to reload the file when it detects a change).
Copy the location of the .sln and open it in VS2017.
It does ask to convert to latest RDLC format, touch wood, no issues with converting it so far.
Now, if only there was a way to select the VS version to open - which I can understand to ensure compatibility they don't allow.

Opening another VS2015 instance has the same problem.

Please let me know if anyone has the same issue or if there is anything I can look at to permanently solve the problem.
Kind Regards,
Ewald Venter

Answers

• Options
    barandenizbarandeniz Member Posts: 44
    Consider using Report Builder ? You can enable it by going Dev. Env. then options then use report builder option.
  • Options
    I often use it, though the formatting (for me) is a bit easier to do in Visual Studio.
    Kind Regards,
    Ewald Venter
  • Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    memory issues? If you do not have enough RAM for all your tasks, it will take longer to load a new program.
  • Options
    16GB, 6GB available. Also using a SSD
    Kind Regards,
    Ewald Venter
  • Options
    martinher562martinher562 Member Posts: 50
    Have you tried doing development in another machine that has NAV and VS 2015. Maybe might need to reinstall VS2015.
  • Options
    I ended up doing a clean install of VS2015 on a VM. Works perfect.
    Uninstalled all the add-ins and extensions for VS2015 on my machine, uninstalled VS2015 and reinstalled it - same problem.

I have noted a difference between the two machines though.
    When VS opens the layout for report on my machine, I get the following message:
    The following settings were applied to the project ('ReportLayout') based on settings for the local instance of IIS Express. If you need to change these settings, use the Properties window (F4).

Windows authentication: enabled

Don't get that on the VM...

(Both connecting to the same NAV service)
    Kind Regards,
    Ewald Venter