Options

service stops automatically

nostrannostran Member Posts: 106
hi,

i've got a navision service- i.e. native database, running on windows 2003.
since couple of days, the services has been stopping automatically. And of course, all users lose connection when this happens. Any idea :wink:

another issue i'm facing is that navision is quite slow, even there are only couple of persons working and there does not seem to have alot of traffic on the network. What are the factors affecting navision perf?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    How much memory did you assign to the server?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    there's 525000 kb of physical memory available and i've set the cache to 250000 kb of cache.

please find below details of msg in event viewer when service stops.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1000
    Date: 7/14/2005
    Time: 6:45:51 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: NAVISION
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: server.exe, 4.0.0.19365, 4148858e, dbm.dll, 4.0.0.19365, 41488d26, 0, 00010519.
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Can you please check the event log on the database server for more information about the crash.

In the past, I was having the same problem, and it had something to do with Active Directory. The solution was installing a new version of the dbm.dll. This is a private fix MS produced to fix the problem. Why is it a private fix? Ask MS.

You just need to copy the file into the server and client folders (and the NAS folder if you are using NAS).

The problem is, that Navision would crash if it had to handle any kind of error message from AD. With the fix you will still get the same events in your Application Log, but they should not crash Navision. The messages that you get "The program failed to publish Navision Database Server Service Connection Point in Active Directory etc" are harmless - except of course if they crash Navision.

Where can you get the dbm.dll? At your NSC. Your NSC should be able to get it from Microsoft.

I guess the new dll just catches every error, and continues. A dirty workaround, but even when your error has nothing to do with AD, it may fix your problem.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    hi waldo,

thanks for your reply. with respect to the event log on database server, i checked the events on windows, is that you were talking about or is there an event log specific to navision server? if there is one specific to navision server, could u please tell me where do i access it? thanks

active directory is not activated on the network, but i'm willing to try replace the dll u talked about. would be great :D if i could get it from u, cause getting it from nsc could be worth a wait...

btw, i'm getting the error on Navision 4.0

thanks
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    All error of native navision database server should come in the Application log of the event viewer.

Just give me your email in priv. mess. and I'll send it to you.

regards,

Waldo

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    funfoufunfou Member Posts: 1
    Hi Waldo
    I've got the same problem. But I don't find the fix. Could you tell me where can I find it ?
    I give you my email : fmichel@cornouaille-informatique.fr
    Thanks a lot.

Frederic

:cry: