Slower connection using web services and windows CE 6.0

alphonsealphonse Member Posts: 12
Hi,
we are using Dynamics NAV 2015. We've build some .net application, which run on PDT Device and connect to NAV using web services.
Some PDT using Windows CE 5.0 and some using Windows CE 6.0 in it.
The .net application can run well in both PDT device, but much slower in Windows CE 6.0.
For example, in CE 5.0, its only 1 sec to get the data. In CE 6.0, it takes 4-5 sec, to get the same data. Both devices using the same connection.
Any suggestion, how to fix this? Thanks in advance

Regards,
Alphonsus Eka

Best Answer

• alphonsealphonse Member Posts: 12
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    We ask the PDT vendor to update the wifi driver. Combine with using the "Use NTLM Authentication" = TRUE, the client is quite satisfy with the performance.

Thanks

Answers

• rehansattirehansatti Member Posts: 36
    edited 2017-01-23
    Hi Alphonsus,

I was once told, that MS recommends to set ’Metadata Provider Cache Size’ to 5000 – even though it by default is set to 150:
    This way you can improve the performance, response time well.
    h2zq6ex1l0x7.png

You can read this old article:
    http://www.archerpoint.com/blog/Posts/performance-tuning-microsoft-dynamics-nav-2009-and-nav-2013

Best Regards
    Rehan Satti
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV Technical Consultant
    Please verify the answer if it satisfy your question. This will help other members of community.
  • zohaibu95@hotmail.comzohaibu95@hotmail.com Member Posts: 223
    rehansatti wrote: »
    Hi Alphonsus,

I was once told, that MS recommends to set ’Metadata Provider Cache Size’ to 5000 – even though it by default is set to 150:

You can read this old article:
    http://www.archerpoint.com/blog/Posts/performance-tuning-microsoft-dynamics-nav-2009-and-nav-2013

Rightly said.
    Best Regards
    Zohaib Ahmed
    Dynamics NAV ERP Technical Consultant.

please like / agree / verify my answer, if it was helpful for you. thanks.
  • RockWithNAVRockWithNAV Member Posts: 1,139
    Yep Metadata Provider Cache Size to 5000 is a good recommendation. I will suggest that you can increase your Data Cache Size too depending on your server.
    Thanks for the replies. I have been change the metadata provider cache size to 5000, but no changes in performance. Maybe i should change the Data Cache Size too? Any suggestion on how much i should increase the data cache size?
    Thanks
  • igor.chladiligor.chladil Member Posts: 28
    If you are using .NET CF then my experience is that this is usually due to the authentication against the web services. Change it to the NAVUserPassword or use some proxy that will skip authentication and that will take care about the authentication on your behalf.
    Hi Igor,
    Yeah, i read this article https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/freddyk/2010/01/22/connecting-to-nav-web-services-from-windows-mobile-6/

Do you have any guide how to use proxy or skip authentication for NAV web service?
    Does using NAVUserPassword drastically improve the performance?

Meanwhile, I will try to use PreAuthenticate and see how its affecting the performance.

Thanks
  • igor.chladiligor.chladil Member Posts: 28
    Hi Alphonsus,
    From what I can remember the NAVUserPassword made quite some difference and it is ready out of the box. Now you have that option - back in NAV 2009 it was not available and so proxy service was your only choice.
    PreAuthenticate did not work for me.
    Whereas using the transparent proxy meant developing some .NET WCF web service that consumes unauthenticated requests that you are sending from windows mobile application and then passes those requests on to the NAV web service with some authentication token in it. I.e. much more difficult solution to implement, especially if you are not really familiar with WCF.
    Regards,
    Igor
    Yeah, preauthentication does not work on me too.
    I found this :
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/freddyk/2010/01/19/connecting-to-nav-web-services-from/
    So i set the "Use NTLM Authentication" to TRUE. It somehow increase the performance. Not as fast as windows CE 5, but still theres an improvement.
    The client still evaluating the application. If its still unacceptable for them, i'll try the NAVUserPassword.
    Thanks

Regards,
    Alphonsus Eka
  • johnbelljohnbell Member Posts: 1
    Pass4sure experts are completely aware about the obsctacles the applicants feel in way in training for certifications such as 210-260 Cisco exam. we have employed our exceptional efforts to make our pass4sure 210-260 Cisco professional implementing Cisco network security examination a ideal study guide, helping you in the most suitable manner.
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    We ask the PDT vendor to update the wifi driver. Combine with using the "Use NTLM Authentication" = TRUE, the client is quite satisfy with the performance.

Thanks