Options

Turning on Item Tracking for Item Currently Not

dezdez Member Posts: 4
Hello,

I have a client who has implemented Inventory years ago, and tracked lot info external to Navision. They are now ready to utilize Navision for their Lot Tracking needs. I have suggested what MBS suggests: create new item records turning on Item Tracking, migrate inventory levels, block old Items.

They are opposed to handling the situation like this. They would like to (if possible) eliminate the need to create all new records as they have trend analysis with the existing history, etc.. for thier existing items. Also the amount of history would add DAYS onto the migration process if we approached it that way.

Anyone accomplish this a different way?

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

8) Dez

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    Hello dez
    Here is what we have done for clients who have requested this. Create two physical journals batches one to remove everything from inventory for that item so quantity on hand is zero. Then run adjust cost. and post it to gl. Then through report set the item tracking on item card, so you don't validate and get the error. Then run the second physical inventory with serial/lot info to bring inventory back into the system.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    KowaKowa Member Posts: 918
    ara3n wrote:
    Then run the second physical inventory with serial/lot info to bring inventory back into the system.
    If you use this method make sure the unit cost on the item card or SKU Card is not zero. Is is adviseable to save this field value in an extra field before removing the inventory so you can write it back before calculating the second physical inventory journal. If the unit cost is not correct while posting the second inventory journal the inventory valuation will start off with wrong values.
    Kai Kowalewski
  • Options
    Thank you ara3n! That's pretty much what I was expecting to do, just wanted to see if anyone else thought so too!

Have you had anyone go the opposite direction? Lot tracking to Not Lot Tracked? You suppose you'd perform the same procedure only reverse?

Thank you again.
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    Yes, I've done in reverse. you could do it in reverse, but it's a lot faster/simpler to use run adjust cost, and write a report to blank the fields (lot, serial no) in open item ledger entries. and blank the field on item card.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    Great, you are all so full of such good ideas!

So you suggest running the "calculate" physical inventory process to reload inventory values? I was going to export the quantities to a text file and re-import them into the Item Journal to make a positive adjustment. Wouldn't that work similarly?

Thank you VERY much for the info!

Dez