Serial No. Length Work Around (Already Know Not to lengthen)

I have read all of the "DO NOT LENGTHEN SERIAL NO." posts. With that out of the way, my client has a situation where they have to combine two halves which from factory typically are "married" with top half and bottom half having the same serial no. However, there are instances where the bottom or top half could go bad and then they are re-united with a new half. This creates an instance where there are now two serial numbers that have been joined to create a single serial no. In these instances the length can grow over the 20 character max.

I am looking for a solution that would be best practices for this type of situation. Any suggestions would help!

Key points of interest are the following:

I have added a second extension field to the Serial No. Information table (6504) and Card (6504). This is a field I can view from the Item Ledger Entries view, through some extending I have done.

My concern is when my client goes through the Service Orders module, they do not receive their components into inventory so as not to inflate inventory. They track these items through the Service Order and Service Items that are created through this process. Because of this when the Service Item Line is having the Serial No. designated, there will not be away to provide the second serial no. or the overflow field. What would be the best way to account for this?

Thank you,
dj