Options

Potential risks of deleting G/L entry (Archive to new table)

krrish0909krrish0909 Member Posts: 5
edited 2016-10-06 in NAV Three Tier
Hi Experts,

Can somebody tell me the potential risks of deleting G/L Entry data (Archive to new table for later reference purpose) which are older than 7 years as customer don't want to keep old history coz of growing day to day data in this table. This table is already huge (over 100M records). For the deleted GL entries they will be posting a summary entries to reconcile the GL total overall.

Thanks in advance

Answers

• Options
    jglathejglathe Member Posts: 639
    As long as you maintain integrity (summary entries, similar to date compression), no. Microsoft doesn't support date compression anymore, but it was a quite reliable feature for the G/L side, the code is still there. Maybe it's worth a look.
  • Options
    mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    We have done this for a customer by modifying the Navigate Form. This way you can delete a lot of data (and related data) in a date range. It takes some time, but its doable and we save went from 80Gb to 30Gb.
  • Options
    kovaidonkovaidon Member Posts: 54
    You have mentioned that you have acheived it by modifying the Navigate Form .
    How you have done it sir. Could you please elaborate it more in detail . to acheive this .
    Am also facing same scenario, One of my customer is asking for deletion of G/L Entires with related Data,which is 8 years old with DB size of 100 in NAV2018.

it will be more helpful if you share me your knowledge . if possible Code as well as sir. Please Help!!!!
  • Options
    ZumiicZumiic Member Posts: 8
    edited 2023-08-02
    kovaidon - just use the built-in process to Date compress. No need to customize this.
    Navigate to /Departments/Administration/IT Administration/Data Deletion/Date Compression
    and run the processes here.
    It deletes entries, and creates an aggregated entry for the period based on dimension combinations (if selected)

For archiving purpose create a backup of DB before compressing, or export the entries to Excel.
  • Options
    kovaidonkovaidon Member Posts: 54
    edited 2023-08-02
    Thank you for your valuable Comment Zumiic!!!!!
    Up to my analysis and verifying other Experts suggestion Mibuso and other Nav Related portal, it is of no impact in downsizing the DB using Date Compression and it less advisable to use the same.

Even though, i have suggested this Date Compression Functionality to our client. but they are not seems to be interested. They are keen one going for deletion of G/l Entry data and it related data . Thats why i have asked this question.

whats is your call sir!!!!!

• Options
    ZumiicZumiic Member Posts: 8
    edited 2023-08-22
    Well theres always an option to do a test run for this date compression. Copy DB, run the compression and see the table size.
    The thing why it seems there is no impact, I think is because the DB size is increasing with entries, and after entries are deleted, DB size stays at the maximum size it once was, and deleting anything doesn't decrease the size, but it doesn't grow for a while.

initially your concern was table size and record count, so this compression solves that.
  • Options
    mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    Zumiic wrote: »
    Well theres always an option to do a test run for this date compression. Copy DB, run the compression and see the table size.
    The thing why it seems there is no impact, I think is because the DB size is increasing with entries, and after entries are deleted, DB size stays at the maximum size it once was, and deleting anything doesn't decrease the size, but it doesn't grow for a while.

initially your concern was table size and record count, so this compression solves that.

Yes, had the same problem. The customer has deleted more then 7 years of data in their NAV2009 database before upgrading. But this code is not yet updated.