Options

At what point will speed became an issue with the Item Ledger table in NAV?

I'm evaluating NAV and after learning how the Item Ledger table works in inventory and the calculations being done to flowfilter fields for inventory on hand quantities do I need to be concerned about performance issues relating to the number of transactions that may exist for a single part number in the system? If I have a single part number with 100,000 transactions, would that be considered a lot in NAV and at what point could I potentially see issues with performance for reports or screens that display this information?

Also, if I need to access inventory on hand quantity from outside of NAV for reporting, do I have to read the Item Ledger and calculate my own on hand quantity? Are SIFT / flowfilter fields only a C/SIDE (NAV) capability? (New to MS SQL Server also)

Thanks,

Jim

Answers

• Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    With correct management, design and tuning it should work fine. But pure numbers are not the core issue here. There are many other factors that need to be taken into account. More information would be needed about the transactions you are doing. Specifically why you would need that many Item Ledger entries on one item.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    MfgConceptsMfgConcepts Member Posts: 8
    David,

Thanks for the response. I was looking at the transactions for one of my customers that has been on a different ERP system for 5 years. I did a simple query to find the highest number of transactiosn for any single part number and it was about 25,000 in the inventory transaction database (similar to NAV Item Ledger). This is a manufacturer that purchases raw materials, creates jobs and pulls those materials along with inventory moves. These parts don't change (part numbers anyway) so the transactions would continue to grow in NAV and having that history brought into NAV would be ideal also.

My main concern is how the indexed views really work and how totaling is done with Flowfields and the best way for an outside application or reporting tool to read this information quickly along with knowing how NAV would respond to opening an item card and calculating on hand quantity.

Jim
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    How many items do you have with this many transactions. And what is the total number of Item Ledger Entries that you expect?
    David Singleton
  • Options
    rsaritzkyrsaritzky Member Posts: 469
    Flowfields and their associated Flowfilters are really quite remarkable in terms of performance. However, the table needs to have the appropriate keys so that any flowfilters that you apply perform well. There are many NAV sites with millions of Item Ledger Entry records (including ours).

However, if you are using an outside reporting tool, then the flowfields aren't directly accessible. But in general, the indexed views available in SQL perform pretty well.

Ron
    Ron