Options

Inventory zero, value non zero

PutxiPutxi Member Posts: 8
Hi everybody,
I've got a zero inventory with value non zero.
To get this:
1 of june: a purchase order reception. Product cost= 100€
15 of june: a sale delivery. Sales cost: -100
10 of july: purchase invoice. Product cost = 110
after running report 795, adjust cost item-entries, there is a new value entry:
15 of june: sales cost adjust value= -10

The inventory valuation at 30 of june shows inventory 0 and value -10.

Why the report 795 fixes the posting date of the new value entry to the sales delivery posting date and not to the purchase invoice posting date?

If the inventory period was closed at 30 of june, the posting date of the new sales cost is the first of july. The inventory valuation still shows negative values until 9 of july.

I'm using NAV2016

Josep M

Answers

• Options
    KappaKappa Member Posts: 23
    Report 795 will always correct outbound entries on the original posting date as long as the period is still open. This is in my opinion the right way to do it, because this way the result of the transaction is all on the same date (and this way the COGS will not partially on a different date). So I understand your concern about the inventory value, but the P&L is more accurate this way (and is usually considered as more important for management reporting).
  • Options
    PutxiPutxi Member Posts: 8
    Thanks Kappa
    but, why does not correct at the same time the purchase invoice posting date in the value entry? It would be more clear that the ALL COGS would be at the same date.
    The COGS should be posted as soon as you know the real cost, but not before. Thats why I thing the posting date should be the purchase invoice posting date. And P/L will show the cost at the date we really know, not before.