Options

Any hint for User permission setup?

kenlkenl Member Posts: 182
Hello,

I am working on user permission setup. But I am getting troble for this task. It is very difficult to set it up.

User -> Role -> Permission.

In standard Navision, there are a couple of pre-defined Role. I want to set a user to allow create sales order. I give the user roles as

1) All
2) S&R-Q/O/I/R/C

When I logon, open Sales order, system prompt me error
No permission to read Sales Invoice Header

Then I add Role
3) S&R-Q/O/I/R/C, POST

Then logon again, but prompt error
No permission to read Transfer Line

Finally I give all S&R role to the user. But system still prompt me
No permission for Transfer Line.... then Service Invoice line... I just keep adding table data to the user, but I would like to know, if I want to grant right to create sales order, which role I need to give the user?

Thanks,
Ken

Comments

• Options
    malmensmalmens Member Posts: 2
    Hi Kenl,

The best advice I can suggest from our experience is setup a test user on your database and assign the role and test the transactions required and add permissions to the Role.

The error is normally adequate to tell you what is wrong (Read Insert Delete, etc.) and on what table - It gives you the table name.

There is a permissions wizard and other methods using code coverage, but unfortunately I didn't have access to them. It also depends if you are using SQL or the navision database, because some of the tools don't work with SQL straigt away.

hope this helps
    Neville
  • Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    This tool could be useful for you: Navision Permission Role Wizard

It uses Code Coverage to determine what tables are being used during a transaction, and creates a role containing those tables.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    Hello all,

Thank for your idea.

I am using NA 4.00 with SQL option.
    Finally I have created a role for users to "Create sales order". O:)

Here is the roles I added:
    1) ALL
    2) S&R roles
    3) Table data for 7030, 5902, 5741, 5700, 7321, and 5767

This is a very time consuming procedure to set user permission. Need many Try and Error.

After the basic setup, now I would like to control user to access different company. Any suggestion for it?
    Eg.
    User A can only go to Company A
    User B can only go to Company B
    User C can go to Company A or B

Thanks.
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Assign roles for the specific company... you have field for it in the table...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Hello,

I find the field "Company" in User Roles. Thanks.
    I am going to grant roles to other modules users (purchase, finance, ....)

I have another question on record filtering (Security filter) in Permission.
    Let say I want to let users to see customer from "1000..2000" only.

For table data "Customer", I set the the security filter as "1000..2000". It works fine when I open the customer card/ list form.

However, when I open sales order form, I can still able to view/select customer other than 1000..2000. Finally I need to set security filter on all sales headers (order header, Invoice header, Shipment header....)

Is this a correct way to set the filter? Can I set the filter on master table only :idea:
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    You must specify filters everywhere the customer is used... and do not forget to set permission filter to all "Customer Filter" flowfilters etc... it is hard job to set up permission filters...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    This is a bad news for me. :cry:

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Ken