Debugging : Need Help...!

hedayahedaya Member Posts: 11
Folks,

I am kind of newbie to the Navision world...and I would appreciate if somebody could answer my Questions...

1. I am trying to add the column names to the Watch List...and it gives me an error "Error Symbol "column" was not found"...

any idea on how to see the value of the column (of Record variable) in the watch list?

2. How to use the "OUTPUT" window efficiently...do we have to write code on the C/ AL to output the values or we can write any scripts on the fly...during the step/step debugging mode...

Thanks,
Hed.

Comments

• AngeloAngelo Member Posts: 180
    Hello Hedaya,

When you activate debugger, you can add record variable to watch list window by drag record variable(e.g customer table) from "variables window" to "watch list window" so know you can start debugging by click F5 or F8. After finishing your debugger,maybe you forget to delete the record variable you dragged before so when you activate the debugger again you will see the error said : "Error Symbol "column" was not found"...

Actually, I never use output window for debugging,maybe somebody else can explain it.

Regards,
    Angelo
  • tguptatgupta Member Posts: 86
    Hi hedaya,
    One more thing always try to use messages in ur code when debugging and replace the variable value by %1 or %2 etc etc.. depending on the no. of variables value u want to see .This gives u a idea also whats ur cod eis doing .

Cheers,
    Tarun
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I think that output window is rest from Axapta... the debugger was taken from there... :-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • hedayahedaya Member Posts: 11
    Thanks Folks,
    Appreciated it.

Hed.
  • BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    kine wrote:
    I think that output window is rest from Axapta... the debugger was taken from there... :-)
    I just noticed this window after more than 2 years of debugging...then i can get rid of it!Thanks kine!
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • DaveTDaveT Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi,

.. also you can get this error if the variable is out of context e.g. local variable

Another hint is to hover the cursor over the variable and the tooltip will show the variable content for non-complex variables
    Dave Treanor

Dynamics Nav Add-ons
    http://www.simplydynamics.ie/Addons.html
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    the output window will only display something like "Break On Error" (or so).

originally it should display there some error messages, but this was never solved in NAV. so the Output window will only shown if a error is comming .....
    And in the w1w1adg.pdf is somethings written like "The Output Window Displays information related to the debugging process" But it shown only the "Break" message
    Do you make it right, it works too!
    DaveT wrote:
    Hi,

.. also you can get this error if the variable is out of context e.g. local variable

Another hint is to hover the cursor over the variable and the tooltip will show the variable content for non-complex variables
    hey, hey...you're underestimating me :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    (note that this topic is 3years old, while my post is today)
    I knew these tricks, and i like to add a new one that ara3n posted in nav t&t some time ago: double click something in the call stack to see what was the last instruction executed (e.g. a function call)
    Other tricks i often use in the debugger:
    - double click a variable in the code and drag&drop it in the watch list
    - for tables, it could be hard to find a field (e.g. in a journal): in order to do this, i drag and drop a random field from my table zoom and i manually edit table.zoom.randomfield to table.zoom.wantedfield (remember the double quotes with field names with dots and so on)

there's also a bookmark feature with ctrl+f2, maybe, but i've never used it

P.S.: what error are you talking about dave?
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • DaveTDaveT Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi Belias,

Didn't notice the age of the OP :oops:

I was adding these for the OP and not you - I'll use a late night as my defense :mrgreen:
    Dave Treanor

Dynamics Nav Add-ons
    http://www.simplydynamics.ie/Addons.html
    DaveT wrote:
    Hi Belias,

Didn't notice the age of the OP :oops:

I was adding these for the OP and not you - I'll use a late night as my defense :mrgreen:
    it's simple to fall in "old topic/new post" trap 8)
    -Mirko-
    My Blog