Options

Connecting to Navision DB in ASP/web dev

threefromzerothreefromzero Member Posts: 5
I've created a web portal for my company's warehouse to enter in out of stock information into. Currently, this is totally functional and keeping track of out of stocks and fill rate and the like, and generating reports based on the information straight into excel. However, it turns out that this isn't quite enough!

Now they want me to pull things like customer number, the original items ordered, and customer name into the reports. At the moment my reports are working completely off a separate mySQL DB that only contains what the warehouse types in to my web site.

So I'd like to figure out the best approach to pulling data out of navision based on order number. I'm looking at using the ODBC driver but I've heard this can be painfully slow. I've also heard of a component called C/FRONT that can be used for faster tie-ins to navision. However, I've never incorporated anything like that into my ASP code before.

We're using Navision 3.7 with the proprietary navision DB format.

So any tips on how to do this? I asked a programmer who works with navision regularly and he said there are some pit falls to connecting to the navision DB from an outside application.

Thanks for any tips or advice on this matter.

Comments

• Options
    saikiransaikiran Member Posts: 22
    Hi!
    I think you can make use of the N-ODBC driver. You will find the installation files in your Client's Navision Product CD. Once you install N-ODBC, you will be able to retrieve information from your Navision DB. But the process is obviously going to be slow. Try it.
  • Options
    hawwahawwa Member Posts: 106
    You can try C/ODBC.