Options

Object Text File Splitter v1.0.4.17

AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,496
edited 2006-03-03 in Download section
Object Text File Splitter v1.0.0.4
If you ever had the problem of exporting out many objects in text format, but wanted to get them separately exported, then this is your tool of help.

Just export all the object (tables, forms, etc.) in one text file, install and start this program, set the source txt and the destination directory, where you want the separated object text files to be copied and there you go.

This tool helped me a lot, when I was comparing and merging more than 800 objects.

Please send me a mail with your opinion!

http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=497

Comments

• Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Nice idea, but I'd rather have two files to compare and manage than 800. The only thing that is very time consuming about my method is that you have to make sure that both files contain the same objects.
  • Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    I don't agree.
    If you have two large text-files containing some objects, and you find eg. a new field that has been added to a table, you first have to scroll up to find the Object No.
    If you have one file for each object, you can see at the filename what object has changed.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    Dennis_DecoeneDennis_Decoene Member Posts: 123
    I had a similar tool that a colleague wrote at a previous employer. I was missing it. A big thank you for this =D>

I would like to go even further, I would like to extract comments as well in the same run and export them to an XML file, kind of a log/documentation/...

This way, I could export to a docbook xml and automatically generate technical documentation.

You all know we lazy programmers don't want to write documented code for ourselves and then rewrite that same documentation in an excel/word/db right?

Maybe you would like to GPL/Open source this tool, so we can take it further [-o< ?

I hate reinventing something that has been done (well) before...
  • Options
    ajhvdbajhvdb Member Posts: 672
    isn't there a standard codeunit on the tools cd which does the same splitting?
  • Options
    Chino22Chino22 Member Posts: 9
    Hi,

As Author of this little utility sotware I would like to announce that I already have sent the newest version of this Splitter to MiBuSo.

:!: The newest version has the merge function, which helps you to do your work backwards, so splitted and repaired, compared files can be merged to one in order to have a faster import. :!:

This work documentation is a very good idea, :idea: I will upgrade the next version in order to do a Documentation of the doc triggers, I don't think it is so hard to code that.

I'm am sorry to disappoint all of you, but my source codes are like my children, I love to see them grow, help them to get better and better, I don't want to give them away. :-#

Anyway, the software uses simple file reading and writing operation and algorithms, so anyone of you can write it.

=D> A really special thanks to all of you for downloading, testing, using my software and writing in this forum, or sending me mails in order to get the software much better!!! =D>

=D> THANK YOU ALL!!! =D>
    Csiák-Sedivy Gyula
    VH Com Kft.
    Pécs-HUNGARY
  • Options
    Timo_LässerTimo_Lässer Member Posts: 481
    ajhvdb wrote:
    isn't there a standard codeunit on the tools cd which does the same splitting?
    Yes, there is such a tool:
    Microsoft Business Solutions-NavisionTools CD 4.0\Upgrade Tools\Compare and Renumber Tool\FINCOMB.fob
    I use this for splitting and combining object text files.
    Timo Lässer
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV Developer since 1997
    MSDynamics.de - German Microsoft Dynamics Community - member of [clip]
  • Options
    Object Text File Splitter v1.0.2.8
    If you ever had the problem of exporting out many objects in text format, but wanted to get them separately exported, then this is your tool of help.

Just export all the object (tables, forms, etc.) in one text file, install and start this program, set the source txt and the destination directory, where you want the separated object text files to be copied and there you go.

This tool helped me a lot, when I was comparing and merging more than 800 objects.

• Options
    I don't agree.
    If you have two large text-files containing some objects, and you find eg. a new field that has been added to a table, you first have to scroll up to find the Object No.
    If you have one file for each object, you can see at the filename what object has changed.
    If there is a new field in a table, your text compare tool will first stop at the date and time field of the object number (and at the version list field if done by a competent developer), and the object name and number are right there :).

I can see how this is a usefull tool, don't get me wrong, I just prefer to work with larger files. It works faster for me personally. I have a hard enough time to keep versions of full object files in synch. Just thinking about keeping 800 of them in sych makes my skin crawl.... 8-[
  • Options
    Well it just goes to show that you can change your mind about anything :). I am trying out Beyond Compare (which I REALLY like by the way), and when I was comparing all tables from 37 with all tables from 40 the compare tool got the table numbers all misaligned. As I was looking through the mess, I thought 'I should have these objects in separate textfiles and do a folder compare', and it dawned on me that this tool was out there.

So I downloaded it and tried it and I have to say it is a very nice tool to have in this case. There is one thing that did not work and that is when I checked all three boxes in the destination text files, it gave me an error saying "could not create destination file". I unchecked the name option and it ran correctly \:D/.

What I would like to see is that it remembers the folder names when you open it up again.
  • Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Hi,

I've been using Beyond Compare for 7 years now and it is by far the fastest way to do a quick compare between 2 files.

Maybe Microsoft sould buy it 8)
  • Options
    No you really don't want that. The thing is $30 now, and if MS buys it they will assimilate it into Visual Studio and you have to shell out thousands of $$ for it. Well maybe after I buy a license they can buy it and do what they want :).
  • Options
    Object Text File Splitter v1.0.4.17

Version 1.0.4.17:
    There was an error, if the name of the object contained characters, such like \ / " < > ? * | , so the software stopped the process with a file creation error message.

Now this problem is solved, all these characters are converted to '-', so those filenames can be created now properly.

• Options
    markvandermeijmarkvandermeij Member Posts: 26
    Long time ago I made an Object Splitter (which is also still on MIBUSO), but this tool looks nice, going to test it and see if it really helps comparing a lot of objects...
  • Options
    MethosMethos Member Posts: 46
    This is a verry nice tool. Can you get it to include the versionlist and date modified in the filename?