Options

First NAV 2013 R2 to NAV 2016 upgrade failing : The UPG Item does not exist

RodtmcleanRodtmclean Member Posts: 84
Hi,

I am having issues with a NAV 2013 R2 to NAV 2016 upgrade. It is failing with: -

s9zw1ap5moa2.png

It seems that the UPG Item table is empty and UPGItem.Get below is causing the crash: -

iu93xgtpdbho.png

Has anyone come across this before?

Regards
Roddy

Regards
Roddy

Best Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Thanks Matt,

I answered yes to a question I shouldn't have, in a hurry! :) The upgrade has since been completed.

Regards
    Roddy

Answers

• Options
    matt_quelchmatt_quelch Member Posts: 6
    Hi Roddy,

Have you synchronised the schema after importing merged FOB and UPG FOB without forcing? If you force it nullifies the upgrade codeunit as it will just delete the field and so the upgrade codeunit will not copy the relevant field from Item to UPG Item I think. That was certainly my experince anyway!

If the sync fails validation then it mostly likely means you have deleted fields between old/new tables in this case I think you'll need an upgrade codeunit to handle the deleted fields (or delete them in the source database before the upgrade).

Regards,
    Matt
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Thanks Matt,

I answered yes to a question I shouldn't have, in a hurry! :) The upgrade has since been completed.

Regards
    Roddy
  • Options
    swpoloswpolo Member Posts: 80
    If any, the problem exist when running upgrade from 2013R2 to 2016.
    If upgrade plan is changed. 2013R2 -> 2015 ->2016.
    You should avoid this issue.
    Nav Upgrades and DEV outsourcing
    Reports transformation to RDLC
    List -1h , Complex List -3h, Document -4h (dev hours)
    navisionupgrade.com
  • Options
    mansoormansoor Member Posts: 7
    im also getting same error message, can't we upgrade 2009 R2 to 2016 , actually my upgrade path is 2009R2 >>2013>>2015.
    Reg,
    Mansoor
  • Options
    swpoloswpolo Member Posts: 80
    The problem is in huge Microsoft NAV2016 DevClient bug which is not solving starting from 2016 cu0.
    While nav-dataupgrade is running, Navision cannot copy data from old table to temporary.

DataUpgradeMgt.SetTableSyncSetup(DATABASE::Item,DATABASE::Table104067,TableSynchSetup.Mode::Copy);

So UPGitem is empty after this line
    and error appears after

UPGItem.GET("No."); //line in UpdateItemNextCountingPeriod() procedure.

Nav Upgrades and DEV outsourcing
    Reports transformation to RDLC
    List -1h , Complex List -3h, Document -4h (dev hours)
    navisionupgrade.com
  • Options
    RoelofRoelof Member Posts: 377
    I have the same problem. Is there any solution or is just save to comment out some code in CU-104050 that deals with the UPGItem.Get ?
    Roelof de Jonghttp://www.wye.com
  • Options
    RoelofRoelof Member Posts: 377
    additional question: where in the code is the table being copied?
    Roelof de Jonghttp://www.wye.com
  • Options
    mikhaelmikhael Member Posts: 19
    Hi,

I am facing the same issue when upgrading from 2013 to 2017. Is there any other feasible solution than adding "IF" condition befofe UPGItem.GET("No.") ?
  • Options
    JuhlJuhl Member Posts: 724
    Check that all items have Base Unit of Measure.
    Follow me on my blog juhl.blog
  • Options
    NavNabNavNab Member Posts: 181
    hitt123 wrote: »
    Sync-NAVTenant without -Force should be the solution but is not practicable in customer databases. In our update we came from NAV 2009 with many modules over 2013 and there are tons of unused fields in the upgraded database which are removed fine with Sync-NAVTenant -Force. For me the following modification of CU 104000 did the trick:

[UpgradePerCompany] UpdateItemNextCountingPeriod()
    WITH Item DO BEGIN
    IF FINDSET THEN
    REPEAT
    //Change++
    //UPGItem.GET("No.");
    IF NOT UPGItem.GET(Item."No.") THEN BEGIN
    UPGItem."No." := Item."No.";
    UPGItem.INSERT;
    END;
    //Change--
    ForwardPeriodInfo(
    UPGItem."Next Counting Period","Next Counting Start Date","Next Counting End Date");
    MODIFY;
    UNTIL NEXT = 0;
    END;

Hello @hitt123

As you said Sync-NAVTenant is absolutely the right solution. But I don't agree when you say "It is not practical in customer databases". In fact, during test upgrades you should notice that there is some customized fields in standard tables and you decide which upgrade strategy you'll adopt:
    1- You don't need this data any more => You clean specific data and when you will not have any issue when you apply your staging fob in NAV 2013 (Cronus objects),
    2- You need to keep your specific data => You archive your data in temporary tables and you put it back to standard tables when you're in NAV 2016.

If you option 1 or 2 then you will not need to force tables synchronization in NAV 2013 => You will not need to modify the upgrade toolkit ;)

I hope this will be helpful for you or anyone who's looking to upgrade to latest NAV versions.