Options

How to import data from external SQL table.

jsl_dkjsl_dk Member Posts: 24
I have looked around for a way to import SQL data.
I know how to import text file, using XML ports and know that XML is an option too.
But when it comes to SQL datasets I can't find info.

I alternatively consider to create a table in NAV and import the data from outside via webservice.
Any surgestions ?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Wisa123Wisa123 Member Posts: 308
    Depends:
    * If the other SQL Database is also a NAV Database with Services running, you might consider Webservices if the expected dataload isnt too heavy
    * Add your external Database Server as linked Server, and create a view in your DB to represent the data you need.
    * If it's a import you only do once, or like quarterly you might choose to not go through all of this and just export the data as csv in Management Studio and create a simple xmlport to do the importing.
    * If you are handling huge amount of data and performance is critical you might want to consider throwing queries directly at the DB using the DotNet SqlDataReader.

There are many approaches, choose the one that suits your needs and you are comfortable with.
    Austrian NAV/BC Dev
  • Options
    postsauravpostsaurav Member Posts: 708
    Hi,

If you want to Import Data From External Source for one time, you can also use SQL Server Import and Export Wizard. This comes by default with SQL Server Installation.

There are so many options to choose from using the wizard.

Thanks & Regards,
    Saurav Dhyani

Do you Know this About NAV?

Connect - Twitter | Facebook | Google + | YouTube

Follow - Blog | Facebook Page | Google + Page
  • Options
    jsl_dkjsl_dk Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for your answers.
    Its a weekly routine of importing orderlines not a heavy amount.
    I understand that it should somehow be possible to use a dot net component - but how ....