Options

NAV2015 upgrade step 2 Array dimensions exceeded supported range

davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
I am upgrading a database of over 100GB. After almost 24 hours of running step 2, I received this error: Array dimensions exceeded supported range.
I can find only 1 unsolved reference to this problem. It appears like a Powershell problem where it exceeds 2GB.
Since some of you have upgraded even larger databases, have any of you run into this problem and have a solution?
I have submitted the problem to Microsoft as well, but am hoping someone on this forum has the answer.

(And yes, I know the performance is terrible. I am running someone else's supplied upgrade mods on a server which is not configured properly. It does have 32GB RAM and the SQL Server max mem is set to 22GB with the service tier and a dev client on the same server. The disk drives are allocated by VMware and it appears the amount of disk space allocated was the only consideration.)

Comments

• Options
    DarkNationDarkNation Member Posts: 2
    I recently ran into this error message as well(NAV 2009 -> NAV 2015, over 1TB DB size). Upgrade step 2 is hard to debug, but I assumed it could be related to the UpdateUserID function. That function updates every field related to User."User Name". It does this by using RecRef and for every user in Temp Windows Login. So if you have twenty users, it goes through every table 20 times. After getting rid of this function I never saw that error again. I streamlined a few other functions so there is a small chance it could be something else, but UpdateUserID would definitely be my first guess. You can find a smarter Version of it on larswestman.se/speeding-up-step-2-in-nav-upgrades/ and somewhere in this forum.

You should also take a look at functions like UpdatePostedSalesInvoices etc. They are faster on pure SQL than the queries NAV uses.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks - I already decided to change the updateuserid function based on the same blog.
    Microsoft also confirmed this as a known problem.
    I will look at the other functions you suggested as well.
    When I do an upgrade offsite, I delete all the users. This one is onsite, so it is the first time I have experienced this specific problem.
  • Options
    updateuserid - I moved it to sql where it took 26 minutes. The rest of step 2 took 16 hours. The service tier went to over 21GB RAM. I had them bump the RAM up to 64GB with 32GB for SQL Server. They may not want me to spend the time to optimize further. It is possible I will have to upgrade a much larger database in the near future - if that happens I will need to optimize all the longer running processes including dimensions.