Options

Error during Sync-NAVTenant in NAV2015

rsaritzkyrsaritzky Member Posts: 469
Hi all,

We have a fairly large NAV2009 database upgrading to 2016 (240GB). First stop in the upgrade path is 2015. During the Synchronize of Schema (Task 7 on the upgrade document "Upgrading from Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 R2 or Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 SP1 to Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2015", The process runs about 10 minutes, then gets "stuck" on "Table 148 of 2516". After about 20 minutes, Sync-NAVTenant errors out with
Sync-NAVTenant : A connection to SQL server is no longer usable.
This could be caused by one of the following reasons:
* The server has been shut down manually or because of an error.
* The SQL server connection settings are not correct.
* A network failure has occurred.
* A hardware failure has occurred on the server or on your computer.
Try to connect again later or contact your system administrator.
At line:1 char:1
+ Sync-NAVTenant -ServerInstance DynamicsNAV80

The Application log shows this error:
Source: .Net SqlClient Data Provider
ErrorCode: -2146232060
Message: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

I have set the SQL timeout to 6000 seconds. However, I do not recall if I had restarted SQL after setting the new timeout, so I don't know if the update was saved and actually in the SQL configuration.

I am going to retry the process after the database recovers, but I am wondering if anyone has had issues with the Sync taking a long time.
Ron

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Followup to my own post - I neglected to change the SQL Command Timeout on the NAV Service Tier. A second test showed that table 148 started, and 30 minutes later, the connection timed out. The "SQL Command Timeout" on the Service Tier was set to 30 minutes (SQL Server was set to no timeout). So I'm figuring/hoping that was the issue. I've increased the timeout setting on the service tier and trying one more time....
    Ron
  • Options
    postsauravpostsaurav Member Posts: 708
  • Options
    Hi Mohana,

I changed the timeout setting on the Service Tier to 6 hours. I could increase it more, but based on observation, it's a timeout on a specific SQL command. The update of the particular table 148 (don't know which one it is) took about 45 minutes before it moved onto the next table. I got through the rest of the sync process OK.

Thanks for the reply.

Ron
    Ron