Options

How to make "Read Only" status visible in a word document opened as an interaction attachment

MegaMikeMegaMike Member Posts: 2
Dear Navisioneers.

I am using mibuso.com for years and have found many many usefull tips and tricks and insider knowledge. Thanks to all of you for this great help you give to users and developers! But for my current problem I could not find any suggestions:

A logged interaction is for NAV a posted Information and therefor is not editable.

The same rule is valid for interaction attachments. When you have used a static word document as an attachment, then Word will start in Read Only mode, the user can see this mode in the window title and is not able to modify this document.

But when the word document contains merge fields, then Word starts in a normal mode, it seems the user can modify the document. And he does. But when closing Word, no Message "Do you want to Import" or "Do you want to save" or anything else appears, no particular message, and the changes are gone.

We are searching for a possibility to show the user, that also this type of document is shown in a read only mode.

Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks in advance.

In this case we are talking about NAV2013R2 together with Word2016, but I am afraid it is a General issue, not depending the Version, is it?
Kind regards from western EastWestphalia.
Michael

Answers

• Options
    MegaMikeMegaMike Member Posts: 2
    In Addition: We are talking about the "ShowMergedDocument" Trigger in Codeunit 5054 "WordManagement": In this section a Parameter "read only" is given to the WordHelper.CallOpen prcedure in two different ways: For static documents the attachment."read only" flag is used, for document with merge fields the System uses FALSE as a konstant. I think this is the reason for the written behavior, but I don't know why, and I don't know a Workaround.
    Kind regards from western EastWestphalia.
    Michael