Options

How long did it take you to learn dynamics nav?

How long did it take you to learn dynamics nav?

Answers

• Options
    EvREvR Member Posts: 178
    What do you mean by learn? As an end-user or coder?
    If you are familiar with any language, c/al won't take time at all to learn because it's so very simple and basic. It's basically IF,THEN,ELSE,BEGIN,END,CASE,EXIT... now you know c/al :wink:
    In all, including functional knowledge and .NET interoperability, I would say 3-4 months.
  • Options
    perception99perception99 Member Posts: 9
    What's the best resource for learning .NET interoperability?
  • Options
    Wisa123Wisa123 Member Posts: 308
    You can start out here - follow the links below the article and recreate the examples!
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg502499.aspx

However, your question is not easily answered. C/AL Syntax is quite easy - but as a programmer you also need to know how the standard works and how it does things.

So if you ask me - im working with NAV for around 4 Years now, and im not done discovering new things by any means.
    Austrian NAV/BC Dev
  • Options
    matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    I think EvR is significantly over-simplifying here. That or I take a much broader view on your question. I tend to go more with Wisa123's answer. Yes, you could read all of the manuals, do the labs in the training material, etc. in a couple of months. But do you really know NAV at that point? I would argue no.

And you do need to understand the functionality before you're ever going to be a good developer, if that's what you are aiming to do. Regardless, NAV is big enough now as a product that it is not reasonable for a single person to know the ins and outs of every little thing.
  • Options
    perception99perception99 Member Posts: 9
    Thank you all for your input. I needed a little guidance and your advice helped me. So thank you.